An interesting problem ..to me anyway.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two ancient email accounts which I don't seem to be able to access .   

One of them popped up , full of saved  emails  , the other I cannot seem to get into  .    I'd like to transfer a couple of things to where I can view them again  , hen shut them down . 

They must be taking up space   .   One is my first email address  ,  provider  was Wanadoo .   The other is a redundant business account   with Hotmail  which must be full to the brim by now . 

Really  !!      I 've just accessed one of them    can't tell which one  TBH  ,   dates back to 2007 .  

Some stuff about Fire Alarms   there , I started to delete them . 

Some don't give the delete option   ,  most odd . Give up on that one  .   Wannadoo  became Orange  ,  they were both carp !  

Any Idea how I could access my redundant email  ?    

Last edited by a moderator:
Blimey  !!      I imagine them clogging up the electronics. 

Should I close down the old  Hotmail email   ....I just sent it an email from my BT email  which shows delivered OK  . 

I cannot seem to find it and open it anymore  ,  nice to shut it down if possible . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember trying to that  but not finding any way to do it  .     

Opened it a while later and it was heaving with , mostly , spam .  

Now I don't see a way to access it .    I've still got 10 million letter heads with that email on .      

most emails use imap. emails are stored on the mail server and accessible anywhere. setup a pop3 somewhere which downloads them fromt he mail server and keeps a permanent copy on the PC. just make sure you check / uncheck the box to delete from the mail server once downloaded

I thought emails were pop3 and you could change them to imap? This is what I had to do with my BT accounts. Not that I can access them now as it tells me to enter the password which i do and it still won’t let me have them :C  but if I access them via my old iPad then I can still get them? 

Go figure???

It must be e-mail account tidy up time. I have prehistoric e-mail addresses from Tinyworld, (of whom everyone says "WHO?", these days), and from Tiscali, who bought out Tinyworld.

Tiscali then became Talk-Talk, I think, and as I moved house I departed Talk-Talk broadband.

I then decided to become g-mail, though because I have Virgin TV there is also a mandatory but unused Virgin e-mail lurking somewhere. 

So, there is a whole trail of redundant addresses stretching back 20 years.

Anyway, I've just started getting messages from Tiscali saying that they are going to close down my accounts unless I start paying for them!

Why on earth would I do that? It's now seven years since I finished my broadband account and anything forwarded from their addresses is rubbish.