Inspect and test

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albion

Reaction score
Hi, I need a bit of advice, I am returning to this work. I have the 2360 level 2 and 3. No NVQ.

I have just acquired the Electrical Labourer ECS card,

My question is should I do the Part P or city-and-guilds-2391 to progress as well as the 18th edition?

Also what are the best agencies for contractors?

All advice appreciated, thanks  Clive

Ok thanks Blue Duck, I just need to make a start, would be happy to be a mate or improver for a while just to get me back in the game.

Eventually would like to concentrate on private jobs but that is a while down the line. I have IT network experience so that might be an option.

So how old, how much experience, what area? 

Realistically you will need the NVQ, for the private work, as you’ll do part p defined works which you’ll need apart p subscription to a scheme and the NVQ will be required,  but should you have a quiet spell you’ll need a plan B, this may mean subbing, agency etc at which point you will be asked if you have an ECS/JIB card, if you don’t then you will be paid as a mate- not easy if you’ve been used to a better wage on your own. 

So if you qualify for the mature NVQ entry it may quicker and easier than the full blown NVQ if you don’t. No less expensive. 

You will also require the AM2, which may or not be packaged with the NVQ. These would be far more beneficial to you than the 2391 at this stage. 

A year and half in Maintenance, 6 years Network and Comms, 2 years Marine Electrics as well as small private jobs (not notifiable) for the last 12 years as sideline. So a mixed bag but had a lot of technical jobs.

To be honest a mates wage would be fine for me now  as I have spent time in a rewarding but low pay environment which has taken me all over the World.

Yes I will go the NVQ route but I need work to show them.

I think Plan B will be my Plan A as I just want to make a start and can progress from there, it will also give me a good insight as not done a lot of site work apart from the Network stuff and IT roll outs.  

I probably do qualify for the mature NVQ entry. 

Will check out AM2. Thanks

Ok so agencies, whilst some view them as a middleman taking a cut of your potential earnings and in fairness the rates offered are not anything to shout about, but for someone in your position they are a means to an end. What they will give you is an opportunity to sample different types of work, take pictures of all that you do with you in shot, possibly even short videos as I have heard this is required by some instead of pics. This will build a portfolio for you. Speak with Jtl re the mature route, they are slightly cheaper by all accounts. 

Most of all enjoy what you do and you may find that a firm you work for may offer something more permanent. 

Good luck.