Hello

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sm91

Reaction score
Hi people,

Thought I would join here as looking to get some advice. Not a complete idiot and have done a bit of reading for myself. Questions I'm looking to ask are actually opinionated, so no wrong or right answer. Just thought it'll be good to hear different opinions.

Cheers

The Forum awaits the question ... ....will we be able to answer it ?   Whats it to be ?      Anything too difficult we can pull Sidewinder in .... theres a button here  ,   I can alert him  if theres a panic or a difficult question ..................    lets see now.....   ah  he,s watching the telly  ........I'm not going to disturb him .  

Theres definitely some different opinions flying around on here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha cheers for the welcome. Nothing difficult more just opinion on getting experience. I have done some reading already and see quick course questions asked all the time. What I gather seems to be a bit of common sense really. You won't become an electrician in a matter of weeks and experience is king. I will try find the right section to shove the question up though and see what people think.

Thanks again.

Please ask away .... you'll get some " interesting  comments "   on the "Short course"  question   I should warn you . 

Put it in the general Forum  ...Q & A   .

I'm guessing that you are  "mature"  and looking to become an electrician , if so , let me warn you of the various scam courses that  some get talked into ......basically qualifications you don't need  and at great cost. 

There are "Short courses "   and they somehow produce Domestic installers  with no practical training  and only classroom experience  and they are working  as such . 

Electricians they are not I'm afraid .  

Look up previous posts on this  , its been discussed a lot on here .  

Haha cheers for the welcome. Nothing difficult more just opinion on getting experience. I have done some reading already and see quick course questions asked all the time. What I gather seems to be a bit of common sense really. You won't become an electrician in a matter of weeks and experience is king. I will try find the right section to shove the question up though and see what people think.

Thanks again.

Welcome the the forum.  The key thing you have to understand about short courses, is that 99.9% of them were introduced when Part-P building regulations came into force, with main the objective of providing a pathway for electricians with many years experience, but possibly qualification out-of-date to come back-up-to-speed with a formal qualification to current regulations, so that they could sign off and notify any Part-P compliant work. As that was back in 2005, a vast majority of the electricians needing these courses had done any updates probably by 2008/10 at the latest. So then the training providers started looking for other potential customer to sell this package they had already got up and running to. So they have frequently been mis-sold to people wanting a career change, but lacking the fundamental underpinning knowledge or experience, to be able to benefit from a short course. In a nutshell if you are attempting to become an electrician without the basic electrical science, physics, maths, or any practical skills at all, you do need to do a traditional full college course.  If you have worked previously in the industry with some qualifications, but just got a bit rusty and out of date, then short courses could still be a workable option.

Doc H.     

Thanks for the reply once again guys. I'm a firm believer in " if it sounds to good to be true". I wouldn't even dream of thinking some short course will have me able to call myself an electrician. Makes me laugh when I see people thinking they'll be qualified in just a few weeks. Have read bits online like I said and seems experience is key. Quite honestly yes I want to become an electrician but I'm not deluded enough to think the process can be rushed. 

Latest posts