Advice needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlnd14

Reaction score
I was just wondering, in a work place such as a hotel, office etc. Is it legal to do basic electrics such as replacing a plug socket, installing a new light fitting etc.

If you are not a qualified electrician.

And if it's not. Is there any qualification other than a full level 3 electrician that allows you to complete those basic tasks legally

Can the employer and employee prove in court that the person is competent under the requirements of the Electricity At Work Regulations 1989, and can they prove that the work that is done is safe and compliant?

Can the employer and employee prove in court that the person is competent under the requirements of the Electricity At Work Regulations 1989, and can they prove that the work that is done is safe and compliant?
Yes that’s it in a nutshell. All comes down to the Health and Safety at work act.

That's what I mean though. 

Is there a electrical qualification other than a full level 3 electrician. 

That gives you the experience and right to do the very basic electrics, within health and safety guidelines

That you know of.

I think you are looking at this a bit back-to-front. Level 3 is by no means the highest grade of electrical qualification and any person installing, maintaining, repairing, replacing any electrical accessories, working un-supervised, in a work place that unskilled members of the pubic can have access to, must be fully competent as to establish that any remedial work is still electrically safe complying with all relevant regulations in BS7671 and will not pose any danger to people, property or livestock. If you are working under the supervision of someone else, who is suitably qualified and competent, then basically you don't need much experience or qualifications.

But if you are working alone, other than the basic industry recognised qualifications, I cannot see how anyone could prove in a court of law that you were competent to be opening up any electrical accessory and verifying that your own work is safe for others to use. DIY in your own home is a different matter, but if you make a mistake in a public building you could seriously injure or even kill someone very quickly.

Doc H.