Swapping an MCB

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevesown

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a customer with a metal box type Wylex consumer unit, which presently has a NHXSBSB16 breaker feeding a small pump set which is just fed Direct Online.

I need to swap to a Type C breaker as the new pump set is powered by variable speed drives.

The question I need answering is:- Can I put just a normal type C breaker in the consumer unit?  as the RCBO types normally trip when you connect variable speed drives due to the characteristics within the drives.

Why do you think you need a type C for a VSD?  They almost always have soft start.  If anything it would be the DOL pump that would need the type C

Why do you think you need a type C for a VSD?  They almost always have soft start.  If anything it would be the DOL pump that would need the type C

VSDs need to charge their DC bus capacitors and as such have a large inrush current when the VSD is first powered up. 

Hi Dave thanks for the reply, In my years of experience, I always tend to have problems with Type B on all installations weather VSD or DOL, so I normally change them as a matter of course.

My main question is, is it OK to remove the RCBO & change it for a normal MCB on the Wylex metal box consumer unit?

Isn't there some bumph about  creating a " Risk assessment"  to  avoid the use of an RCD  ?  

Yes, you can omit things provided you can justify your actions, and to do that your need a Risk Assessment. For Example.,I much prefer not to RCD my solar circuits for various reasons to do with reliability - RCDs dont like the way inverters start up and shut down, not usually an issue, but with some makes a total pita! I can justify this on the grounds my cable runs are usually surface / buried more than 50mm, and I don't fit sockets under the panels  :D

What does one actually  do with the Risk Assessment ?     Send copies to your MP ,  the NICeic ,  Building Control , The Queen  ?  

I've only ever done any twice ,  to  Project Managers .   

What does one actually  do with the Risk Assessment ?     Send copies to your MP ,  the NICeic ,  Building Control , The Queen  ?  

I've only ever done any twice ,  to  Project Managers .   
File it so you can present it in court IF the smelly stuff hits the fan.

How do they know you only just wrote it down ?    

NIC Man      "Oh my goodness you havn't fitted an RCD to this circuit " 

Me                  " Ah  but I wrote it on this piece of paper " 

NIC Man       " Thats OK then  " 

The last ones I did were for a Project management  team . 

Q .  Will your operatives be working at  height  .

A.   Yes from a mobile scaffold tower .

Q.  What precautions will you take to prevent a fall?

A    We will be very careful .   

I've never done one ....... so I suppose the logical answer is send a copy with the certificate and file a copy so your CPS can view it.
I honestly don't think they'd welcome it Murdo  . 

I've said this before but I keep wondering if all the local building control departments now all have a database  of all the electric jobs carried out  since  Part Pee  came in .   And would they be willing to search it for , say , a house buyer  who wants to know when it was rewired & by whom. 

How do they know you only just wrote it down ?    

NIC Man      "Oh my goodness you havn't fitted an RCD to this circuit " 

Me                  " Ah  but I wrote it on this piece of paper " 

NIC Man       " Thats OK then  " 

The last ones I did were for a Project management  team . 

Q .  Will your operatives be working at  height  .

A.   Yes from a mobile scaffold tower .

Q.  What precautions will you take to prevent a fall?

A    We will be very careful .   

Working off a scissor lift in a  supermarket warehouse, site manager asks us what is our escape plan?

I told him we would jump off onto that pallet of toilet roll.

Not amused

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

I find they struggle to ask sensible questions ......... so insisting on seeing such documents is surely something they want to see.

Last Stroma inspection they wanted to see my "complaints procedure" - a written copy - I said I don't get complaints - I don't think the assessor thought my response was suitable!

Risk assessment?

try doing one for a diving course with a projected depth of 75m!

risk......death

cause....running out of gas and/or drowning

method of risk reduction.....stay in Pub
Probably goes down as well as "I'm 54 and still alive with every intention of reaching retirement"   :^O  

I think we all have to do a mental risk assessment everyday in this day and age,

if I make it too work and back without getting mugged, stabbed or shot at then I consider myself to have passed and the risk assessment was successful. 

:coat  

I've said this before but I keep wondering if all the local building control departments now all have a database  of all the electric jobs carried out  since  Part Pee  came in .   And would they be willing to search it for , say , a house buyer  who wants to know when it was rewired & by whom. 

I know that the NIC do (well, the notified ones....... )

http://www.checkmynotification.com