Are my old testers good enough for the 18th?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon M

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm returning to electrical work after a few years doing other projects.
I shall be taking the 18th Ed exam soon.

Will my Megger MFT 1553 tester be appropriate for the 18th ED?

If not why, 

and

what would you recommend.

I am to get my 2391 back up to scratch so would be wanting to carry out all required tests.

Many thanks

Simon

Welcome to the forum, Providing your meter has been calibrated within the past 12months I cannot see a problem. Although some of the acceptable tolerances may have been adjusted over the years with updates to BS7671, the fundamental testing principals have not changed. If you do need it calibrating https://isswww.co.uk/ may be worth consideration, if you have no one else local who can provide a service for you.

Doc H.

I use three fairly old  separates ...Megger /Ohms  .....RCD ...&  Loop .  

Just go for it ,  as the Doc says , have to have it recalibrated ,   I'm presuming you're talking about enlisting with a  Domestic Competent Persons  Scheme   , otherwise known  on here as a Scam .  

If you are looking at joining a scam  scheme  we can give you some advice here. 

Many thanks for the replies. 

Thats good to know. 

I shall send them in for calibration. 

Regarding part P schemes, yes I’m looking at joining Elecsa. Only because I was with them before. 

Have things changed much? It was about 7 years ago when I last was a member. 

Ive just ordered my books for the 18th. 

You don’t say where you are but part p was changed in England in 2013 so best you download the free copy and take a read.

if you are in Wales, it’s as before

I'm in ELECSA   I don't think much has changed  ,   basically as long as your cheque doesn't bounce  you're in .  

If you were a member before I can't imagine a  problem .   

You'll know all the bumph you need   ...PI ...Regs book....Electricity at Work Act ..... a job to inspect ....suitable testers  ...mains testers  etc.

Last edited by a moderator: