H&S in latest NICEIC magazine

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Latest Connections magazine  is dedicated to Health issues  .   One comment I noticed struck a chord .   

" I wish they had given us more information while doing my apprenticeship "      

I'd second that .   I started on maintenance  with GKN at 15   before jumping ship into contracting  at 17 .  I did a one day safety lecture , all I remember now is not to wear jewellery  as in rings .... we were shown a case of someone standing on a wobbly paint tin  , reaching over a locker , tin topples , ring caught on sharp edge , finger wrenched off .    Theres lovely!!! 

Finished apprenticeship at large contractors  equal size to NG Bailey then ...H&S   zero   other than what a sparks may tell you  .  

No masks , no goggles , etc         After I worked at quite a few firms with the usual  wobbly steps  & vans with poor brakes that no one ever addressed .  A workmate was killed when the steps wobbled  causing him to touch a bus bar  when using test lamps .  

I worked for a rewind company once , on their contracting side ,  working with the rewinders on a furnace meltdown I realized how we were the poor relations ....being normally workshop based  they were supplied with overalls , goggles & safety boots ........... us  sod all . 

Started my apprenticeship 1980, wish we were more aware about wearing our ear defenders, being around 600MW generators, big compressors and big pumps all my working life has left me with medium to high frequency hearing loss and tinnitus. My hearing cuts out at 2.8kHz pretty sure most people are about the 8.5 kHz mark.

My recollection about the constant H&S courses we did, was an over emphasis on slipping and tripping accidents, and how to safely lift a heavy object.  I feel more about ladder safety etc would have been better.

Regular fire fighting training, and actually getting to use extinguishers to put out fires was very useful and fun.

My hearing cuts out at 2.8kHz pretty sure most people are about the 8.5 kHz mark.
I have trouble hearing people over background noise ,  noisy pub say ,   difficult to make what people are saying  ,   (   Seems  to be worse when they say "It's your round)  " 

Probably down to years of using percussion drills.  

Me, I got more tickets than Camelot.

Except pasma, no one wants to sign scaff tags all day...

IMO H&S is more window dressing and arse covering, no actual common sense.

Wear safety glasses all day and it messes with your eyes, hard hats on roof tops; why? In case a plane lands on my head? 

Other silly **** like lanyards in scissor lifts, ladder permits, 3 hr fire watch (hot works permits) & banning brooms!

Then the dozey buggers leave trip hazards everywhere, gaping holes in floors, poorly stored materials, mess & detritus all over the shop.

Last big site I was on there was a fire in the toilets next to the canteen so both were shut off, did they shut the site down?

No.

Rant over!

😛

Last edited by a moderator:
Started my apprenticeship 1980, wish we were more aware about wearing our ear defenders, being around 600MW generators, big compressors and big pumps all my working life has left me with medium to high frequency hearing loss and tinnitus. My hearing cuts out at 2.8kHz pretty sure most people are about the 8.5 kHz mark.

I have a constant 7khz (rsh) whistle..... makes it difficult to concentrate on a conversation when there's other noise going on

Everybody these days is OTT   ....see some tone deaf singer on  Britains  Baking  Strictly on Ice   ...creeping up on each note  before murdering it  and the audience rises to it's  combined feet  in ecstasy.

Or my favourite OTT action  ....at any  emergency scene  it is necessary  to have , say , 30 emergency vehicles  parked up  ..all with  full  flashing lights  going for hour on end .      Followed closely by   pick up trucks  who winch a vehicle  onto the back  then proceed with their flashing orange  lights going .      Why ?   You are just another truck  that happens to have a vehicle on the back ...why are you warning us ?  What did you think may happen?  

Was it that obvious?

did those breakers arrive?
Yes arrived today. Swapped the rcbo piggy backs over to the B32's.  Quite a clever mechanism, I wonder why more makes didn't to them as an add on pod?  Oh I know, it would mean they would have to keep the MCB design constant, so the only other one that could possibly have done that would be Hager.

I have an intermittent whining noise

starts about 1730 finishes about 0800 when I go to work

lasts 24 hours at weekends though

I have always thought that could be cured with copious amounts of intoxicating alcoholic beverages, in any quantities or flavours that you can acquire, with no limits on mixing or overdosing and you do not need a doctors prescription to administer the cure, or get repeat prescriptions. The whining just appears to vanish almost immediately if using the stronger medication,  or worst case within 45 mins if the medication strength is a bit weaker. (common problem easily curried IMHO).

Doc H.   

Opposing colours, red is very fiery and blue is cold, looking at the weather when fiery meets cold equals heavy thunder thus you should have known better, also blue and green should never be seen together therefore do not mix these medicines either!!