Finance ...interest rate down again .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ISA’s like anything that is beneficial to the general public is now a non starter, we’ve just had the same letter and ours is down too 0.5%, really isn’t worth the worry imo. It’s time to buy gold, silver or diamonds! Money has no real worth. 

With base rates so low, the economy will have a real problem in the next recession.  Rates should be much higher now so they can be lowered to stimulate growth, but the economy has never yet been strong enough for them to rise.

Just you wait until we get a negative base rate.  You will get PAID to have a mortgage, and you will be CHARGED for keeping money in the bank (cue people keeping wads of cash under the bed)

Premium Bonds are probably a better investment than ISAs? 

ONly good thing about low interest rates is that some people decide it's better invested in soalr panels, which is good for me.... :D

Just you wait until we get a negative base rate.  You will get PAID to have a mortgage, and you will be CHARGED for keeping money in the bank (cue people keeping wads of cash under the bed)

Isn't Denmark in this position now?

Be interesting to see how my DIY solar goes next year .........

Last edited by a moderator:
Precious metals prices are spiralling down, time to start buying again except I’ve spent this months allowance.

The economy is a mess and not all of the UK’s doing.
If they are spiraling down, should you not wait for a sign they might be going back up before buying?

Isn't Denmark in this position now?

Be interesting to see how my DIY solar goes next year .........
Yes, that's where i saw the mortgage that pays you money, and the banks that charge you to keep savings.

If they are spiraling down, should you not wait for a sign they might be going back up before buying?

Buy low when you're gut feeling says so. Another way of looking at it, I bought the last 10 ozT bar from a colonial country on the UK market for a reasonable price. You  have to watch the market.

I buy to acquire for my son, not to sell. If he chooses to sell it is up to him.

With base rates so low, the economy will have a real problem in the next recession.  Rates should be much higher now so they can be lowered to stimulate growth, but the economy has never yet been strong enough for them to rise.

Already have to pay for most bank accounts here in the USA