Adding a double extension cable to a single to double socket.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunni

Reaction score
hello I need a bit of help since my room has very little sockets and I need to make enough for me.

Currently I have one of those single to double wall plug things which I have my alarm clock in and a single extension to my heater in the other socket. However I really need an additional plug for my Nintendo Switch so I would like to know if its possible and safe to add a double extension cable into a single to double wall plug?
I am pretty bad at wording and explaining it so I drew some pretty bad pictures with paint to try and visually show what I have and what I want to have if possible.

I do have a double extension cable which says 15 amps on it, I know my heater is 2000w, I think the alarm clock is low power and I don't know about the Nintendo Switch but I don't want to overload the socket.

This is my current set up
SyJdmYL.png.5be7fbd4450ef8a9094cd39aa3942798.png

and this is what I hope to get
BWtjsXc.png.65544e9e0c14d6e7ffeda8244b7dae87.png

Thank you if you can help me out 🤗

Personally I would not have a heater on an extension lead. The risk of overheating the lead or its socket are just too great.  Conversely you can put as many clocks, video games, IT items, lamps, etc as you like on one..

SO ……….  You really should get the wall outlet converted to a proper double socket. Plug the heater into one side and buy a four gang extension for all your bits and pieces, using the other side. Buy a good one, not one from the pound shop or similar. 

the wire for my heater is not long enough to reach any socket safely so i need to use extension.

is it hard to change a single socket to a double one? like could my dad do it or do I need a electrician to rewire it or something? I had my dad repair my single socket once when the on/off switch jammed if its just as single as taking the single off and screwing a double socket on he can do it but is there more to it?

I searched google and found a 13a single to double adapter that changes it to 2 plugs is this the correct thing to install, I don't think I can do work on my wall so I think maybe the adaptor will be ok?

it is one of these. 
51IQreMPVaL._SL1000_.jpg.09f87315847a518e44e11cd29f41c15a.jpg

if this is safe to do I can use this on my socket that has 3 things plugged into it, a tv, a pc monitor and my pc speakers system which currently run off a 3 way gang extension from the single socket, if this is installed it will be ok to plug the current gangway for my monitor, tv and speakers into one socket and my heater directly into the new second wall socket?

that will allow me to then plug my nintendo switch into the extension my heater is currently plugged into, will this work?

Yes, that's an acceptable way to have a double socket replacing a single, (providing of course the existing single is properly installed in the first place, the conversion assembly is competently done, etc)

As I suggested earlier I don't approve of using extension cables with heaters due to overheating / fire risks. If you absolutely must do it, check that the extension is adequately rated, and doesn't become warm in use, - either the cable or the extension socket itself.

might as well just plug in a 4 gang extension lead, it will be limited to 13A by the plug fuse.

I also don't like heaters on extension leads, but most can be turned down / set for 1 kw rather than 2 kW, which will help reduce any potential problems with the exisiting socket. Your dad may be able to convert a socket to a double, this would be my preference rather than a conversion unit. Can't say I'm very familiar with conversion kits as it's no trouble to me to fit a proper double socket, so I'm not familiar with the quality of these items.

Latest posts