Installing a brand new Electric cooker/oven

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesBBR

Reaction score
Hi everyone, 

been asked to Install a new 8.6kW electric cooker/oven (all the one unit). 

the old one that came out was fed by a 6mm T+E supply cable which in connected to a connection point. 
from the connection point it goes back to the DB with a 6mm cable  and into a 32A RCD and has a cooker switch in between. 

Only problem is the pre fab cable thats installed into the new unit is a 2.5mm 3-core flex cable. 
is this cable suitable or should I change it to the 6mm? 

If I were you I would consult the manufactures instructions regarding the electrical connections and follow those.  What do they suggest?

Doc H. 

As The Doc  says  , check the MI,s  .   On the face of it 2.5 flex would be running a bit hot  while handling  8.6 KW  .   

Where you refer to a " 32A  RCD"    I'm guessing you mean  MCB ?      32A MCB  is too big for the 2.5 flex  and too small for the full rating of the cooker  ( 36A) .

Are you sure the flex is 2.5mm   & not 4mm? 

However they design  appliances like cookers  on the  premise  that all the elements will be switching in & out  therefore they never reach their total rated output .   

The 2.5mm^2 flex will be adequately protected against fault currents by the 32A circuit breaker. Furthermore, the "8.6kW" oven won't actually be capable of drawing that much - that's just the total connected load with parts of it not able to be simultaneously energised. There's nothing wrong with the flex supplied - it's more the ridiculous descriptions of the ratings of cooking equipment based on this "total connected load".