HELP? Emergency stop and advice fitting to plug sockets mains

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willjones444

Reaction score
Hi,

I know a bit about electrics but, does this look safe for mains electric linking up to an extension lead eventually when I test it. 

Also how do I connect the wires to the emergency stop and start button on this. I got from Screwfix but no instructions. And can I do this to go to plug sockets? 

Advice? See pics...

If that's wired how I think it is it'll end up with a plug into that extension lead with the other end a other plug in to the mains supply that is called a widow maker lead and is called that because you'll have to standard plugs one on each end I would say you would be better to get a qualified spark out to sort this before someone gets hirt from a bare set of plug pins 

What badger is asking is how do you propose to provide power to this circuit? If by the socket that is hanging out of the bottom then that will make the plug that you’ll plug into it, have live pins on it should someone mistakenly unplug it thus electrocuting that said person who may not be you. 

please clarify what the socket hanging is to be used for?

and, how is the circuit currently provided with power? 

or we reading this the wrong way? Is the circuit already supplied elsewhere and the socket hanging is the one that required the emergency stop? 

Last edited by a moderator:
That "emergency stop" unit is just some pushbuttons in a box.  To make it work it needs to be connected to a properly designed emergency stop system that will have some relays, contactors or even a safety relay of some sort, depending on what it is stopping and what your risk assesment says are the requirements of the stop system.

Why install external weatherproof sockets indoors? Does the roof leak? Surely standard metal-clad would have been cheaper? Just curious.

Doc H.