Small metal Sw/Fuse needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of a metal Sw/Fuse that is smaller than 230mm high please? (the smaller the better).

I intend to use SWA to CU about 6M from meter position.

Why not?

just curious;  as this is not my fault veryday line of work

Well like everything its open to interpretation but it could be said that a switch fuse falls within "consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies" and as such needs to be in an enclosure which is non-combustible (421.1.201)

I have found that Scolmore do a metal enclosure to contain their insulated switch fuse, whether SWA could be terminated into one i do not know .......

SCO_DB791.jpg

SCO_DB750.jpg

Well like everything its open to interpretation but it could be said that a switch fuse falls within "consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies" and as such needs to be in an enclosure which is non-combustible (421.1.201)
My take on this is the gear fitted in a meter box  OUTSIDE of the premises would continue to be plastic  , as with the equipment fitted by the DNO  & metering companies .

Plastic  cut-out ,  plastic 100A   main switches,  plastic  meters .    The only reason I fitted a metal sw/fuse was to make off the SWA  .  Had it been meter tails I'd have used the Scholmore   Main switch  shown above.   

There is also an argument that suggests "Consumer Units and similar switchgear assemblies" are items to which 'final circuits' are connected in domestic premises. If some switch gear is only supplying a distribution circuit then it can be argued it is a distribution board not a consumer unit.  It pivots around the definitions where Consumer Units and Distribution boards are both described in Part-2. And a Consumer unit is a "particular type of distribution board" Yet regulation 421.1.201 does not refer to Distribution boards, although it does mention household domestic premises.  Why not just say all domestic distribution boards should be non-combustible if it applies to every thing? 

Doc H.