Advice regarding electrical conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVI_8

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post, I’d like some advice regarding electrical conduit.

My project is a log cabin large garage, this is subject to building control as it’s 9x8 metres. I,m going to do most of the fitting out of the wiring, lights sockets etc as I’m trying to keep costs down, the electrician will connect everything up to the house and consumer unit which he’ll fit and sign it off, the 10mm SWA buried 3ft is already installed.

The garage is 3 metres to the eaves and 4 metres to the ridge.

Can someone advise me if I can use conduit up to the 3 metre eaves then just run the wires clipped to the internal wall to where they need to drop down to sockets and switches or does every part of the wire exposed have to be concealed in conduit?

Because of the design of the log cabin structure there are lots of support structures 8 in total which would be difficult routing conduit around so if I can legally use conduit up to 3 metres then exposed cables clipped to the structure it would save a world of hassle.

there’s going to be a ring main with 8 double sockets, a lighting circuit, a dedicated circuit 32 amp for a welder and compressor, only one of those will be plugged in at any time (10mm twin earth) and a dedicated circuit 32amp for a 2 post car lift so a lot of wiring for a garage.

Thanks in advance

Hi, thanks for your reply, are you saying that this would meet current building regs by doing this?

Hi guys, first post, I’d like some advice regarding electrical conduit.

My project is a log cabin large garage, this is subject to building control as it’s 9x8 metres. I,m going to do most of the fitting out of the wiring, lights sockets etc as I’m trying to keep costs down, the electrician will connect everything up to the house and consumer unit which he’ll fit and sign it off, the 10mm SWA buried 3ft is already installed.

I am assuming the electrician who will be 'signing off', (as you call it), this work, will be using a standard electrical certificate compliant with current regs? In which case the signature(s)  will be needed for  "design", "installation" and "testing". So in truth you really need to check with the person who is signing the design & construction parts to answer your question. And if you are in England or Wales, they will also be accepting legal responsibility for the building regulations compliance certificate as well, I guess?  So before doing any work that they may not be happy with, I would ask them to call round so you can discuss your design proposals with them.

Doc H.

Latest posts