BS7671 Non Compliance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose7005

Reaction score
https://we.tl/b-QVvluY44ac

Hi everyone

I have had a UKPN visit for electricity connection, however they did not connect he electricity stating as follows. 

As you can see from your picture the cables/ main switch have not been installed as per BS7671 so they were unable to connect.

Can Someone advise what part of this installation (In link) isn’t compliant? 

I look forward to your responses. 

Many thanks. 

I would say the reason was because those cables army protected from the metal edge and should go through a gland tomorovide protection form rough edges 

And also the gap around the edge of the amount of space where something could be pushed in is more than the allowed from the regs I think it's allowed gap is 2mm or something would have to check but that's a big gap for foreign objects to get to the live connections 

Which was there first, the isolator or the supply head?  Whoever was SECOND put it in the wrong place.

See that little metal plate sitting on top of the isolator.  That is a Gland Plate.  There will be one on the bottom as well.  You are supposed to drill them and fit glands to it for the cables (there is a bit of a clue in it's name, gland plate)  There is probably a gland plate on the bottom of the distribution board. That too will need to be glanded properly.

Even if the isolator was there before the head, you need to gland the cables properly and either the isolator or the head has to move.,  My guess is the head is not going to move any time soon.

That is very poor installation, I suspect who ever had done this hasn’t been in the trade particularly long? Not the work of a seasoned professional.  
is this recent works? 

This looks to be a 3ph supply for a HMO, hence the 3ph isolator then the Ryefield distribution board, the metering will be 1ph after the second switch fuse. 
the space between isolator and service head is too small to do any meaningful connections between the two. The top of isolator is too open (perhaps the installer was worried about Eddys) therefore non compliant. 

IP rating on top of the isolator doesn't comply for IP ratings, should be IP4x (IPXXD), the bottom can be IP2X (IPXXB). Also it would suggest that the isolator is mounted too close to the service head.

If possible I would move the isolator up to come into contact with the Ryefield and bolt both together, this would sort the IP rating problem on top and also ensure the metal enclosure is adequately earthed. I would also make a Paxoline gland plate for the bottom of the isolator and bring the tails in through some stuffing glands.

A main earth block wouldn't go amiss either.

IP ratings explained: View attachment Temprecord International Ltd. IP Rating Information Sheet.pdf

EBfODUNWkAANm-4.jpg