Re-using old lighting fixtures

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opky

Reaction score
I have recently started replacing existing flood lighting which consist of sons, metal halides ranging from 250w to 1000w to L.E.D fittings. The fixtures i am removing are still in sound working order and i cant help feel that they could still be put to good use as they are or convert myself to led to sell on for a knocked down price. I have my own workshop at home and can probably make or fix just about anything. Does anyone buy used lighting fixtures for the same reason or is it not worth the time and effort and just scrap them?

You can buy LED "gear trays" for a lot of light fittings.

But I would not personally refurbish them and sell on.  If they were in good external condition I would consider upgrading the tray and using them for myself, that is all.

If the fittings are in good condition then convert them to LED. If you look around you can get LED lamps for almost anything, it's just a case then of re-wiring the internals ie take out any ballasts and wire for 240V direct to lamp holder.

I they are in good order just put them on ebay as, "used untested". Any buyer can then either accept and use them as they are or convert them, with no liability on you.

Not worth the time or hassle 

No electrician could be bothered supplying second hand parts.

Everything is so cheap nowadays. 

I throw them in the steel skip. At least they will be recycled and I don't have to feel guilty. 

Who does the sorting and where

Curious , not doubting you!
Somewhere in the Belfast docks. I don't think about it too much. I think they're called Eastwood's. 

Our factory waste is all recycled. 

There's lorry loads of scrap steel taken away to be melted down. 

River Ridge and Irish waste take other recyclable streams. 

Sling 'em ,  no financial gain in peeing about with them  ....carry them to Mordor  and cast them into the Crack of Doom ,  their time is passed ,  the people will shun them and you will be cursed by them forever , darkness will fall upon the land  and the Dark Riders will be sent forth to hunt you down ...CAST THEM ASUNDER BEFORE ITS TOO LATE !!!!!!    

The whole point of this in refurbishing and converting to LED is from a maintenance point of view for any customer. All they have to do is change the LED lamp, no drivers or ballast gear etc.

I have seen many LED modules ranging from bay lights to flood lights fail through bad drivers and blown SMD's which means the whole fitting needs to be replaced. At least the lamp supplier is in control of the customer. Will convert 1x 250w metal halide flood light fitting  for an equivalent LED lamp. (should be roughly 100w) 

There is an industrial unit I look after and they have loads of 4 pin 2D lamp fittings.  They have proved very unreliable so now each time one fails I put an LED gear tray in the fitting. None of the LED ones have failed yet.