Anyone recognise this sensor?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today's puzzle.  Outside light sensors.

The outside lights in this bungalow are operating at any time of day, not just at night, and occasionally stay on all day.

There are two sensors like this one:

Sensor.jpg

Either one will trigger the lights to come on.

They are connected with a bit of thin wire a bit like alarm cable.  Clearly they don't directly switch the lighting.

So there must be a control box somewhere that the 2 sensors connect to and that switches the lights.  I have looked all round the house, all round the garage and all round the loft and not yet found anything.

It would help the search if anyone recognises these sensors and know what control box I am looking for.  It will be (slightly) easier to find if I know what it looks like.

I have seen a system like that many years ago, but I'll be dammned if I can remember the make.  There has to be a control box somewhere, possible on an internal wall, the unit I saw about 12 years ago had  4 sensors and a little display and could be set to chime during daylight hours as an intruder detector.

probably a GJD system. there will be a controller inside in a cupboard somewhere. itll look something like this

7_87_1.jpg.948029a6776a4f45aa14b27df4acd4dd.jpg

Some interesting suggestions.  If it is either of those 2, then they have changed their design since this one.  And no I didn't test to see if those skinny cables had 240V on them, because nobody would ever do that would the.

This job has come to life again.  the owner came across the control box for these sensors, cut into the back of a kitchen cupboard behind the cornflakes.

20200113_104233.jpg

So, the issue is, the two motion sensors work, but the daylight sensor(s) have failed, so it triggers at any time of day if you walk past.

So I hatched a cunning plan.  I fitted a daylight sensor.  The output of the daylight sensor now powers up this box only when it is dark.  I expected it to then continue operating on the motion sensors during darkness, but be off in the daytime.

Not so, my customer phoned this morning to say the lights were on permenantly all night from dusk until dawn.

What could be wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave have you tested the outputs from that box? I often fit lux sensors that are powered by 24v and rely on a return signal voltage (0-10v) for the lux reading, one lux levels drop below 150 then the external lights come on, this is part of a BMS package. The the original daylight sensor have any operational values? 

There were a few systems like this ,  the detectors are usually  12V   or 24V   , everything wired back to the panel .     Have you looked at those setting switches on the panel?  

Otherwise the detector's  daylight sensor isn't  functioning .  Perhaps .  

There was a similar system popular in the '70s in this area  ,  can't think of the name , it was exclusive to the Clearlight Wholesalers if I remember correctly .   ProTect or something  .