Thoughts about 12th December ...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is very few politicians actually know much about anything...……….  :C

But its the only job they've had  :shakehead

So they don't understand...

1/ How real people live/work/earn/pay their bills etc....

2/ How the economy actually works...  be it finance or manufacturing or schools & hospitals.. etc...

they rely on advisors and "experts" to tell em what to say and do.....

BUT...

The advisors do big cock-ups of major proportions as well....

So ever since the big hiccup of the financial crisis...

almost every member of the UK population with half a brain cell...

Realises that they actually know and understand ****** all about the real world!!!!

So who do you pick??????????????????

:C

The problem is very few politicians actually know much about anything...……….  :C

But its the only job they've had  :shakehead

So they don't understand...

1/ How real people live/work/earn/pay their bills etc....

2/ How the economy actually works...  be it finance or manufacturing or schools & hospitals.. etc...

they rely on advisors and "experts" to tell em what to say and do.....

almost every member of the UK population with half a brain cell...

Realises that they actually know and understand ****** all about the real world!!!!

So who do you pick??????????????????

:C

For the last decade or so I've been of the opinion that there needs to be an "entry" requirement for prospective MP's:

20 years work experience in the real world (none of this political advisor rubbish)

10 years permanent residency in the constituency you want to represent

and if you are an MP and can't tick the 2 boxes above, then you can't stand.

For the last decade or so I've been of the opinion that there needs to be an "entry" requirement for prospective MP's:

20 years work experience in the real world (none of this political advisor rubbish)

and if you are an MP and can't tick the 2 boxes above, then you can't stand.
well that would define what an MP is, a person chosen by the people to work for the people/community, that they propose to represent. However modern approach is very different :shakehead  

There are no positives as far as I can see.   It's a case of judging what will do the least damage to the country.
Certainly feels that way. I've never voted for a party I actually believe in, I tactical vote against whoever I dislike most, which is usually the Tory party, but not always. Currently I have a very good local Labour MP, not a Corbynite. As mcuh as I don't like the left wing swing of Labour I will vote for this guy, because he is good, lives in my area and actually does things for local people. My local Tory candidate posts on FB without even saying which party she represents, and I've no idea who my local Lib Dem candidate is. 

I honestly feel we need to change the voting system, it seems rediculous that when 4 million people voted UKIP a few years ago, they got 1 MP! (and no I don't like UKIP). Given the average constituency is about 265,000 people, this seems very unfair! Now I appreciate that PR of some sort can lead to 'hung parliaments' which can be a pita, but, it would perhaps encourage voting for what people actually believe in, and promote cross party co-operation. Life, and democracy is after all mostly about compromise. 

FPTP (first past the post) has its pro's and con's

PR has its pro's and con's 

its worth noting that the SNP used to bang on about PR until they got a majority under FPTP - had PR been adopted by Scotland, the SNP wouldn't have such a large voice.

I think the calibre of MP's is the main issue these days ................

And don’t forget the huge variation in the number of voters in different seats ..

the planned (and now binned) reduction to 600 MPs was mainly going to be achieved by harmonising, as best as possible, the numbers of voters in each seat.

that as a first step makes perfect sense to me

And don’t forget the huge variation in the number of voters in different seats ..

the planned (and now binned) reduction to 600 MPs was mainly going to be achieved by harmonising, as best as possible, the numbers of voters in each seat.

that as a first step makes perfect sense to me
The issue with that is the lack of representation of rural areas.

I personally can't see why anyone would vote anything other than conservative. Lib Dem are anti-democratic and want to cancel Brexit. Labour party is a mess.

How is it that an MP who just pops back once a week for a "Surgery" and an overnight stop in a rented apartment is allowed to represent thousands of hard working locals who live and breath their local community they have no first hand knowledge of?

Doc H.  

The old concept of voting and having some trust in politicians seems to have either been diluted, or gone completely out of the window, since the Tony Blair "Weapons of mass destruction dossier" fiasco, and the "Banking crisis" & Fred Goodwin mess-up. Now the everyday Tax-Paying, Joe-Public have had their eyes opened IMHO. Less easy to waffle and whitewash with false promises.

Doc H.        

I personally can't see why anyone would vote anything other than conservative. Lib Dem are anti-democratic and want to cancel Brexit. Labour party is a mess.
Lib Dems are being democratic, they are representing the views of remainers, and from what I've seen there is no longer a majority for Brexit and never was a mandate for a hard brexit even amoungst leave voters. Labour have gone back to their left wing roots, Tory party have gone right wing and seem to be emulating Trump. The fact that we are still argueing Brexit 3.5 years later is purely down to their mis-handling of the whole process. They like to blame the opposition, but most of their deals were also scuppered by the ERG - their own MPs. 

OK so this is getting worse, Boris/ Tory party has financial links to the Russians, Boris is sitting on a report into Russian interference in elections and refusing to release it. Boris also seems very friendly with Trump who benefitted from Russians hacking Hilary Clinton, and now this happens....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50388879#

We have a LibDem MP up here in the far north. I will be voting for them again.  If I don't the seat would likely be won by SNP.  As @binky said, you sometimes have to choose the most realistic "least bad" option rather than who you really want.