A question of logic ( This weeks brainteaser)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This cropped up during a fuel shortage .

My approach to putting fuel in a vehicle is fairly simple ..... I fill it up ,  drive about until it's  nearly empty , then fill it up again . 

Builder I worked with for years had his own method .    Fill tank ,   then after about 100 miles , top up with 2 gallons of fuel ,  always have a full tank  & cheaper than my method  in his opinion .  

Is there any sense to it I ask ?   :C  

Also my method of climbing stairs with a load of tools etc  was brought into question .  

So accepted method ,  march up stairs with heavy toolbox  ..march back down ,   march up again with drums of cable,    march back down again , march up with box of accessories  ,  remain upstairs.

The method of an aged Deke , with dodgy knees  ,    place toolbox on third step ..... place cable on toolbox...  walk up 2 steps with third box & place as high as possible ...continue in this manner ...moving boxes up three steps , overlapping each time until top is reached .  

There might be an argument for just keeping a part full tank so you are only carrying a smaller weight of fuel.  That would work if you are daily passing a fuel starion and can be bothered just to put a couple of gallons in.

Up here in the arctic, there is only 1 reasonably priced fuel station.  I can often be working 30 miles in the other direction.  So I need to keep a full tank to avoid having to make a detour to fill up with my couple of gallons, or use one of the more rural petrol stations that charges a lot more than the supermarket one.

fill van whenever it starts getting towards 1/4 full. tend not to let it go too low, usually like to keep enough diesel to get to urgent / unplanned jobs. usually plenty places to get fuel though on the way to / from them

I fill up,when it's gets to about 1/4

always carry 5l in boot as well...smells a bit, should really get a container instead of a carrier bag

Also, when ,going back to van, take back something that is not needed any more. It's all got to go back eventually when you finish. Work smarter NOT stupider!!!!!!!

Also, when ,going back to van, take back something that is not needed any more. It's all got to go back eventually when you finish. Work smarter NOT stupider!!!!!!!

definately this. the amount of time people walk past stuff that needs to go to the van when they go for something. could easily save a few trips

definately this. the amount of time people walk past stuff that needs to go to the van when they go for something. could easily save a few trips
But when you take back something you think you have finished with, only to find 10 minutes later you need it.....

But when you take back something you think you have finished with, only to find 10 minutes later you need it.....
Bad planning😂

Last week, high security Dark Site ( data centre for the uninitiated)

5 levels of security before you get to the interesting bit

got all gear in...part way through job need to go back to van.....all tools/kit put back in cases when done with.  Took some back to van...In and Out takes about  an hour

got back to comms room and I'd taken back everything I was still using and left all the stuff I had finished with

whoops!

Bad planning😂

Last week, high security Dark Site ( data centre for the uninitiated)

5 levels of security before you get to the interesting bit

got all gear in...part way through job need to go back to van.....all tools/kit put back in cases when done with.  Took some back to van...In and Out takes about  an hour

got back to comms room and I'd taken back everything I was still using and left all the stuff I had finished with

whoops!
:coat mind you I've done that 

Driving with the tank permanently full or near as is just lugging weight around unnecessarily and will cost more moeny on fuel. I am lucky in that there are plenty of petrol stations around where I live, so being  abit low on fuel is not an issue for me most of the time.