ATS perplexed is asking advice about automatic transfer switches on solar powered electricity.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATS perplexed

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need advice on some equipment  prior to hiring a electrician to do the work.  I've been 65 years a plumber (yes I'm almost 80 ) and obviously picked up limited knowledge about wiring.

Some years ago I installed a 'Stand alone PV  system' in a new house I built in the sticks.       It consisted of 15 X 185 watt solar panels, 10 X 12 volt batteries (joined together to make

5 X 24 volt batteries) ,5 charge controllers and a 5 Kw inverter.

The batteries have long since been not fit for purpose and I have now been connected to the grid.   I assume that the panels and charge controllers and the inverter are still usable.

and I want to know if I can connect the old solar array to my electrical installation using an automatic transfer switch and my existing equipment ( charge controllers and inverter).

Regards, Perplexed.

OK, what you have is almost ceratainly an off-grid system inverter and charge controllers, which unfortunately is not going to be compliant with DNO requirements. Anything that could back-feed electric into the DNO system must be G98 or 99 compliant, and 'grid tied'. You have approx 3kW of panels so you are well within the 4kW the DNO cannot stop you having. If you are keen on keeping a battery system, then you should look at G98 Hybrid inveters -- combines battery charging with solar inverter, but you will need to buy Lithium batteries that are compatible with that unit. Panels should still be working fine even if they are a little out of date..

The other option is to install a G99 relay, but tis sort of equipment is more orientated to solar farms and will probably cost more than a new inverter. 

THe upside of coughing up money is the the new gear will be far more efficient than the old stuff. Inverters dating back to those panels could drop to as low as 70% efficient, which means you lose out on cloudy and dark winter days. Nothing drops below about 93% efficient these days, and Lithium batteries have around 6000 to 10000 charge cycles, so last 15 to 20 years.