Socket plate replacements

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi lads and lassies been to a job today to price up some socket front changes thees 10 plates in total 1 phone point 3 switches 4 single sockets and 3 twin sockets what's the rough cost that you would charge for this as I quoted 100pound for changing those plates from plastic to metal brushed chrome and extending any earth tags to the plates etc and doing the rcd checks and earth tests basic tests etc as per normal in professional land do you think what I would charge is expensive for West mids what's peoples views on people in general wanting it done even cheaper 

Yes labour only they've supplied plates alrwsu I looked at the job tonight gave them a quote sons mother phones about 2 hrs later and said that her son thought I ws a bit expensive 

Yes labour only they've supplied plates alrwsu I looked at the job tonight gave them a quote sons mother phones about 2 hrs later and said that her son thought I ws a bit expensive 
Rule of thumb......if they ain't happy BEFORE you do the job the sure as flip ain't going to be happy afterwards 

Hi lads and lassies been to a job today to price up some socket front changes thees 10 plates in total 1 phone point 3 switches 4 single sockets and 3 twin sockets what's the rough cost that you would charge for this as I quoted 100pound for changing those plates from plastic to metal brushed chrome and extending any earth tags to the plates etc and doing the rcd checks and earth tests basic tests etc as per normal in professional land do you think what I would charge is expensive for West mids what's peoples views on people in general wanting it done even cheaper 

So you are replacing a total of 11 items? (3 switches / 7 sockets / 1 phone ) @ £100???   You are cheap IMHO!    :shakehead

less than £10 per item?  I am guessing you have no idea yet how much spare you have on the conductors..

or if they will reach the terminal positions in the new accessories...?    :C

As a real world comparison..

My tomorrow mornings first job is a bit similar, but only swapping 5 items + fit blank plate over old disused TV socket outlet.

Ignoring the materials costs, (some supplied by me, some by customer)...

The labour element I worked on was a min £15 per accessory + £5 to cover swapping over blank plate + any earth sleeve longer screw etc.. if needed!

(I haven't seen the job.. just done on gut instinct over e-mail).

So, my labour for swapping half the items you are doing is £80..    :|

That's in the Midlands...  "DY" postcode area,  so probably less than an hours drive from where you are Badge' (depending upon traffic on the M6!!!!  :slap )

I think yours should be nearer £150 minimum!...

Unless you are really struggling for work?    and are desperate to 'get-the-job'?    Guinness

Perhaps you should say that you’ve sought advice as you feel that your quote was fair and in light of the advice you have revised your quote accordingly it now stands at £150, then see if the Son is happy with your old quote! 

i thought i was giving a fair price but hey ho customer son didnt think so

Not worth the hassle if they can't see a bargain staring them in the face.....

Ask if they have ever heard of "Business overheads" or "TAX" ???

Or did they think you were a charity doing work on a "Not-for-profit" basis?

:C  

You might be able to charge more for going back to sort out a diy or handyman cock-up.

It would be so easy for diy-er to introduce a fault, finishing up with no power and no idea where to look next.

i thought i was giving a fair price but hey ho customer son didnt think so

How long did you allow?

10 hours @ £10 per hour

1 hour @ £100 per hour

Problems come when you give a price and don't state how long you have allowed ................ and hence why people think you are charging too much!

Ask if they have ever heard of "Business overheads" or "TAX" ???
As Specs  says     as I look at it ,  you're  getting   £80     &  giving £20   to  HM Gov .   (Possibly) 

I just worked out an absolute  minimum  costing   at £110 . 00    (Also West Midlands)    

Half a day .

1/2   hour travel each way . 

Testing  the circuits  not included .  

Last edited by a moderator:
So you are replacing a total of 11 items? (3 switches / 7 sockets / 1 phone ) @ £100???   You are cheap IMHO!    :shakehead

less than £10 per item?  I am guessing you have no idea yet how much spare you have on the conductors..

or if they will reach the terminal positions in the new accessories...?    :C

As a real world comparison..

My tomorrow mornings first job is a bit similar, but only swapping 5 items + fit blank plate over old disused TV socket outlet.

Ignoring the materials costs, (some supplied by me, some by customer)...

The labour element I worked on was a min £15 per accessory + £5 to cover swapping over blank plate + any earth sleeve longer screw etc.. if needed!

(I haven't seen the job.. just done on gut instinct over e-mail).

So, my labour for swapping half the items you are doing is £80..    :|

That's in the Midlands...  "DY" postcode area,  so probably less than an hours drive from where you are Badge' (depending upon traffic on the M6!!!!  :slap )

I think yours should be nearer £150 minimum!...

Unless you are really struggling for work?    and are desperate to 'get-the-job'?    Guinness

Just to add....

after I did my swapping sockets & switch job last week...

three of the items (2x socket & 1x switch) were on stud-walls with some really cheap and nasty dryline back-boxes..

Where....

(a) The little wings with the threaded studs for the fixings screws were VERY flappy & loose...

So as you tried to screw into them they kept on sliding backwards out of reach of the screws.. (unless you held them in place with some tape!!!)   :C

(b) The bog-standard screws that came with the sockets/switches...  were all TOO SHORT!!!

Needing some longer accessory screws to be used...

And there was a bit of faffing around to get the screws to 'bite'....

So...  NEVER assume an accessory replacement will  always be a simple swap-over!

10 minutes works can very quickly become 20+ minutes..

So make sure your prices are not just based on the "Everything-Goes-Smoothly-To-Plan" train of thought!!!

Guinness