Electrician Future

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpreston19

Reaction score
Hey Guys 

My name is Jason Preston, I was born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica and I know reside in Gravesend, Kent, I write to you guys today as I’m extremely hoping to have a start in the electrical industry I would really appreciate any member of this group  spare even a second out of your busy times to reach out to me give me advice or even better help in me starting a career in this industry with the fact that I’m financial wont be able to support myself to go to college or fund a university course and being on my own in this country with no family support but a dream and drive for better opportunities  
I made the brave decision at the age of 21 to come to the United Kingdom all on my own. I came here with a plan to join the British army as a paratrooper which didn’t work out for health reasons now at the age of 22 I have since  reconstructed another plan and have found a keen interest in the electrical industry and I am eager for a fresh new opportunity and start in the industry where I want to grow and succeed in. I’m a quick learner and excited to succeed in any new opportunities understanding there is a lot to learn which I am prepared to work extremely hard to achieve. If you know any roles within any company that I would be suited to or if you they offer training/apprenticeship programmes, then please do get in touch or if you can just simple reach out and give me advice I will truly appreciate it my email is [email protected] and contact number is 07990 677723 please feel free to reach out to me 

Kind regards,
Jason

Well, you are obviously literate and say you are prepared to work hard.

In my experience people who will work hard tend to succeed. 

May I suggest you initially seek a job as a general labourer on a building site, where you will make an income whilst meeting many tradesmen, including electrical,  and just possibly,  maybe, someone who will give you a chance to progress?  

At the same time watch local job adverts. Having a job, and perhaps references for reliability, effort, etc, will vastly improve your chance of interview, and a well written application will increase your chance of landing a better job, possibly leading to training and opportunities..

Be under no illusions; it isn't going to be easy, but hard work can pay off.

Good luck.

I am currently working on a building site for Taylor Wimpy as a general labour and I share my story with you I came there with no experience In working in construction site no safety shoes no hard hat no high vests no Cscs card but just a positive and motivated attitude and they took me on and I have been there 2 months with also them letting go other labourers just the positive attitude and strong work ethic I keep but the people on the site are lovely and the company is lovely but everyone is busy and deadlines and I’m eager to start my future and I Am a go getter advice was given to me to just keep up my work ethic and people will take notice and grant opportunities also the groundworking team see my hard work and offer me start with them next year when they start on a new site  and work with there company and build a profession in that but I have fall in love with the trait of electrician and see where I will enjoy that me browsing around the site seeing tradrmen at work hence my love for electrician came and  I  I have been meeting and talking to tradesman at the site and most seem to want to help and love my work ethic but never push out the extra effort to get me started always ye ye then they just focus on themselves and there job at hand as most are busy and have deadlines and which is understandable so I need a company or an independent individual to see my worth and work ethic and invest there time in me as they won’t regeret it  

Hi  Jason  ,   Like Geoff says  , getting into this industry is not  what it used to be . 

We get many guys asking  the same question as you  .     Make no mistake  college cost money  and you cannot progress far without passing certain exams  which may mean night school  if you are working . 

To learn the contracting trade  say , you need to start as a Trainee / Mate / Labourer  ,   you'll need a Skill Card / Health & Safety card  to work on sites . 

Work as a Labourer , watch & learn ,  start the basic courses at night college . 

Best option is try to get a start with either a large  or small contractor , start building up a CV  , earn a few £££s  & try to progress through college  .   

I wish you the best of luck , its a long slog mate ....not many kids at 16 are getting the traditional apprenticeships  and theres many like yourself .  

Just read your  2nd post  Mate ..........  listen a career in construction  could be your way to go ,   they obviously think a lot of you ....  friendly & hard working  attitude can take you a long way .