Adult Trainee Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaiTP

Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies if this question gets asked a lot, but I just wanted to ask you all about my current situation and what the best way would be to approach it.

I’m 22 and finished university in 2018. After spending time in my chosen field (criminal justice) I want to explore my options, as I’m not sure I have the passion for it that I thought I had. After looking around I’ve been drawn to working as an electrician as I have always enjoyed problem solving and working with my hands. I started working in powder coating at 15 and did that until I joined the criminal justice sector this year, so I’m no stranger to manual labour and hard work.

After looking through my options, I see that I can’t do the traditional apprenticeship route as I have a degree. Would it be possible for me to pay to do the Level 2 and Level 3 2365 course perhaps one day/night per week and then work with a company as a trainee/mate for the rest of the week? Even for minimum wage I’d just like to get my foot in the door and get the experience. I’ve also seen some providers do full time courses which can be completed quicker, but I’m not sure what our thoughts are on them (TradeSkills4U)?

I don’t really have much of a background in electrical work. The closest thing to it is when I built a computer earlier this year. But what I lack in experience I can hopefully make up for with a good work ethic and openness to learn.

If I’ve missed anything out you might want to know then feel free to ask. I look forward to hearing from you all!

Unless you are looking at starting up your own business...

then you need to start researching real companies to see what qualifications they are looking for and what types of jobs their enterprise covers..

Whatever you think you want to do or are capable of is irrelevant, unless there are actual jobs out their with employers willing to pay you in return for your work.

No one on the forum can tell you what vacancies may or may not be available within reasonable travelling distance to where you live..

Or what qualifications those vacancies may or may not require...

Have you tried looking at the numerous internet sites that advertise job vacancies?

Have you tried contacting all of your local electrical companies to see if any vacancies of the type you are looking for exist?

Have you tried speaking to your local college to see what they advise about training courses?

The only facts we can see at the moment is that you are another one of the many people who come on here asking how to become an electrician,

when they have little or no knowledge of the reality of any aspect of the trade..

Your current experience and background suggests you'd  be very far down the list of prospective candidates for any job you were trying for....

As there will be hundreds of others better qualified and with more experience.  

You have to ask yourself..

Why would anybody want to employ or pay you, if they can get someone else more experienced for the same price???

Getting a job is very similar to winning a contract for some work when running your own business..

You need to have some key advantages over the competition... could be price/quality/experience/availability etc..

often called a unique selling point (USP)..  

Personally I can't see much of a USP to make you stand out as a prospective electrician...?

Almost everyone who comes on here asking basically the same question, claims to be a good/keen learner....

but often lacks the noggin to do much basic research themselves about the reality of electrical work... 

Which sort of points to been, not quite so good at learning or figuring things out...?

If I was asking how to become a Chef, when I don't have much experience or knowledge of food...

Then saying but I can make a cup-of-tea, piece of toast, Pot-Noodle and microwave a ready-meal or heat up some oven chips.. But I am a good learner!

Or..  I want to become a car mechanic, when I don't know much about cars...

But I can change a wheel, hitch-up a trailer, replace a wiper blade... But I like to work with my hands and I'm keen to learner...

I don't think many prospective employers would even ask me to attend an interview.

Dabbling with a bit of electronics or plugging a few components together to make a computer has virtually no relevance to designing, installing or testing electrical circuits.

All I can say is good luck with your search......

:popcorn

Unless you are looking at starting up your own business...

then you need to start researching real companies to see what qualifications they are looking for and what types of jobs their enterprise covers..

Whatever you think you want to do or are capable of is irrelevant, unless there are actual jobs out their with employers willing to pay you in return for your work.

No one on the forum can tell you what vacancies may or may not be available within reasonable travelling distance to where you live..

Or what qualifications those vacancies may or may not require...

Have you tried looking at the numerous internet sites that advertise job vacancies?

Have you tried contacting all of your local electrical companies to see if any vacancies of the type you are looking for exist?

Have you tried speaking to your local college to see what they advise about training courses?

The only facts we can see at the moment is that you are another one of the many people who come on here asking how to become an electrician,

when they have little or no knowledge of the reality of any aspect of the trade..

Your current experience and background suggests you'd  be very far down the list of prospective candidates for any job you were trying for....

As there will be hundreds of others better qualified and with more experience.  

You have to ask yourself..

Why would anybody want to employ or pay you, if they can get someone else more experienced for the same price???

Getting a job is very similar to winning a contract for some work when running your own business..

You need to have some key advantages over the competition... could be price/quality/experience/availability etc..

often called a unique selling point (USP)..  

Personally I can't see much of a USP to make you stand out as a prospective electrician...?

Almost everyone who comes on here asking basically the same question, claims to be a good/keen learner....

but often lacks the noggin to do much basic research themselves about the reality of electrical work... 

Which sort of points to been, not quite so good at learning or figuring things out...?

If I was asking how to become a Chef, when I don't have much experience or knowledge of food...

Then saying but I can make a cup-of-tea, piece of toast, Pot-Noodle and microwave a ready-meal or heat up some oven chips.. But I am a good learner!

Or..  I want to become a car mechanic, when I don't know much about cars...

But I can change a wheel, hitch-up a trailer, replace a wiper blade... But I like to work with my hands and I'm keen to learner...

I don't think many prospective employers would even ask me to attend an interview.

Dabbling with a bit of electronics or plugging a few components together to make a computer has virtually no relevance to designing, installing or testing electrical circuits.

All I can say is good luck with your search......

:popcorn
Forgive me, I wasn’t asking anyone to point me in the direction of vacancies or even offer me anything. I was merely asking if it’s industry practice to employ an adult trainee in an entry level position while they are doing their qualifications which can enable them to put their skills into practice, almost like a traditional apprenticeship.

I thought I would pose the question to a forum full of electricians to see if they have any experience of this and get some insight from the experts. You’ve made the assumption based off a single post that because I posted on here that I’m not actually a keen learner and haven’t done any research, when all I have been doing is researching courses and videos and articles and job opportunities. A forum is to help people with that research and to also discuss with others in a similar situation. Of course I will continue to look more into it, but this was merely to add to the information I already have.

What I have said in relation to building a computer wasn’t an attempt to show off, just to say that I have an interest in the field and would like to look into it with training. I am well aware that I know next to jack **** in relation to the field, but we all have to start somewhere, just like you did at some point.

Hopefully this clarified a few things.

I have recently become redundant, I have just completed my Level 2 2365 and will be starting level 3 shortly with TradeSkills 4U. 

To enhance the skills I have learnt I have managed to secure some unpaid work experience with a local electrician who Carrys out domestic and commercial work. 

The course is a lot of theory as well as practical, which will give you the skills to take to the real world, but bearing in mind the safety of the classroom is completely different than being let loose on a person's ring main in their house. 

The course with TS4U is two weeks on two weeks off, it may be pertinent to contact companies, local electricians asking if they are will to give you work experience if you explain what you plan to do, getting experience in my opinion along with good work ethic as you say is essential, I am glad I have the opportunity, I was in the right place at the right time I made a fleeting comment, the person asked if I wanted experience to give him a ring. You may ask if they may be will to pay expenses just to help you out a bit. You could give TS4U a ring and ask for advise or local job centres or companies, good luck with what you decide.

Shez

Latest posts