LED ...... The answer to everything .......or are they ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I notice of late that so called  long lasting  LED  fittings   fitted by me in the last four years  are carping out .       Unless I mis -remember I'm sure statements like  10 yr life  before  output begins to  reduce .    Had four last week , alll different types. 

Just parked the  Dekemobile in the Bat Cave  , in the dark ,   I see the 10W PIR LED flood   , three yrs old  is reduced to about 1 lumen .  

Last edited by a moderator:
These so called 10000hr figures relate to light being left on not regularly switched, which lessens life. So in order to save money please leave all lights ‘ON’

Hmmm  !   This little flood is on & off all night ..........we seem to have herds of wildebeest  sweeping majestically across the gordin .   

It is however , only on for 1 minute.

Did you know your post can seen on the Forum BEFORE you click submit.    Sharpie's answer came up before I posted . 

Last edited by a moderator:
There was an advert n a front cover ( screwfix catalogue maybe, about a year ago)

9 quadrillion hours life if...

only switched once per day

Not left on for more than 2 hours

we seem to have herds of wildebeest  sweeping majestically across the gordin .   
It's alright for you....many normal folks can only dream of having a Gordin!, dream I tell you, DREAM

you sat there in your tower made of wildebeest teeth and tusks

its just a guess as to how long they should last... they havent made something, left it on for 10,000 hours (416 days), then started production & sales over a year later once they know how long itll last

LED - so unknown! The only stuff I have fund to vaguley reliable so far is Crompton, Kosnic, and Philips (you really don't want to know the cost of those fittings  :Chairfall )  Nothing else has lasted anything like it should. With floods it's usually the PIR or driver that fails - you can tell by the flashing...

I notice of late that so called  long lasting  LED  fittings   fitted by me in the last four years  are carping out .       Unless I mis -remember I'm sure statements like  10 yr life  before  output begins to  reduce .    Had four last week , alll different types. 

Just parked the  Dekemobile in the Bat Cave  , in the dark ,   I see the 10W PIR LED flood   , three yrs old  is reduced to about 1 lumen .  

JCC are simply CARP - not only do they have a high failure rate, but they've run out of warranty spares far sooner than the 10 years on the warranty - I'm fed up with doing "free" warranty calls for a manufacturer who clearly doesn't give a txss.

Downlights for me are now old fashioned tin cans with customer changeable GU10 LED's in them ......

JCC are simply CARP - not only do they have a high failure rate, but they've run out of warranty spares far sooner than the 10 years on the warranty - I'm fed up with doing "free" warranty calls for a manufacturer who clearly doesn't give a txss.

Downlights for me are now old fashioned tin cans with customer changeable GU10 LED's in them ......

out of the hundrds of JCC lights ive fitted, think ive only had 2-3 failures

I wonder what the real carbon-footprint comparisons are between a traditional 'less energy efficient lamp', with cheaper production and no fancy electronics to make the light work -vs- Energy efficient low running costs but high manufacturing and replacement costs, possibly 18months or less later? Especially if the LED is built into the light fitting as well. I am not convinced all of these "green, eco-friendly, climate crisis compatible, energy saving" lamps are all they are cracked up to be. But I am 100% sure a lot of manufactures have been filling the pockets of their directors and shareholders with profits from their sales. Can't remember if it was somewhere on here, or elsewhere, but isn't there some evidence that installations with higher supply voltages 245v+ have higher early failures compared to 225v or lower.

Doc H.   

You have to be careful of the LED spec,  especially when buying on-line as some are not rated for 250V. I am of the opinion that fitting surge supressors to lighting ccts is a good idea in some places.

JCC - I have 6 in my bathroom, I've replaced 4 off so far after 5 years and had problems with JCC elsewhere. I will no longer fit JCC.

Trouble isn't LED as such, but cheap **** Chinese product. I've used loads of Crompton 5ft tubes with no issues, and not had an issue with Kosnic 2D replacement lamps which I have been fitting for many years.  The Philips gear I fitted at landmarks in Plymouth in 2015 has been working very reliably. 

out of the hundrds of JCC lights ive fitted, think ive only had 2-3 failures

I've fitted 100's too 

1 site all 6 have been replaced - other sites its 25% or more

10 year warranty isn't worth the paper its written on - they have run out of JCC 6 tilt , standard JCC 6 now only parts available