PLEASE HELP PLUG FOUND IN CHIMNEY BREAST?????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geecarson

Reaction score
Hi there 

Recently just bought a house and when stripping wallpaper cake across a plug socket in the fire place with electricity running through it but can’t figure out what it’s for ? 

The wires run up the chimney breast 

its definitely not an Ariel etc....

i have a pic pic if anyone needs to look...

thanks so much

I have encountered a few of these, usually old cottages where they want to illuminate the chimney as a feature (no fire of course)
How do you mean binks? A light fitting in the chimney breast illuminating where the fire would sit?

Was maybe used for one of those living flame effect fires
Well there is a gas fire installed already (that doesn’t work for some reason) but yes this plug seems very old and we checked and there is electricity running through there still but it goes up the chimney breast and not sure what it could be connected too ? 

The house is quite old about 90 years 

I would guess it is spurred of an upstairs socket or possibly an old immersion circuit, have a look and see what outlets are near by the chimney upstairs.

I would guess it is spurred of an upstairs socket or possibly an old immersion circuit, have a look and see what outlets are near by the chimney upstairs.
Thanks for your advice its much appreciated 

and well it leads up the chimney breast which then goes up to the bedroom but can’t seem to get to where it ends as it’s behind fitted wardrobes all I know is that there’s a boiler in the room next door but don’t know if it would have anything to do with this 😞 

i tried attaching a photo but it won’t let me as the file is to big

It is also quite far up the chimney breast it’s very random looks like an old plug socket but the wires are very old too which are connected to it 

I have seen decorative lights fitted in or around chimneys, e.g. mini spot lamps angled down onto a wood burner, to give a "warmer illuminating effect" during summer months when the burner is not in use. But, those also had a suitably accessible switch to turn them on/off, not just a socket.

However older properties with gas fires sometimes had what is called a Back-boiler, i.e. the boiler for the hot water is behind the fireplace. Back-boilers would need a power supply for pumps to circulate the hot water around etc. Your socket could have been supply to a Back-boiler. If you could identify which circuit it is connected to, that may give a clue, (if the fuse-box is labelled up correctly!).

But, If in any doubts, don't dabble yourself as electricity can kill a person in less than a second. If your fuse-box has switch-type fuses, turn each one off in turn to see if you can identify the circuit that supplies your mystery chimney socket. 

Doc H.

You have to make 10 posts to be able to post a photo .   Be interesting to see , is the socket a standard 13amp   X 3 pin wall socket   or a small 2 pin or 3 pin ?  

I suggest you look into removing it .   When you say the wires run up the breast  do you mean they run up the chimney  flue  by any chance ?   

Keep talking , you only need 5 more posts 

It has 3 pins on the socket but it doesn’t look like something can not  be plugged in there as the pins are different to modern day ones there more long and narrow 2 at the bottom and 1 at the top there all the same size as well and there’s just 2 wires running from the back of the socket and yes just up the chimney 

we tried looking in the bedroom above and pull up some floor boards but couldn’t find the end of the wires ..... it will be easier when I can post a photo....

thanks everhone one for helping 

Oh wow okay - yes it looks like the first big picture on the left the MK flush plug - that’s very strange so how come the wire goes up the chimney ? And there’s electricity going through it still ? 

Thank you

As Kerching says  ...its a clock connector  , sometimes used for a light .     I'm guessing the cable goes up the chimney & comes out in the loft  & is connected to the upstairs lighting ......possibly .    Needs a trip into the loft space  ,  identify the chimney breast rising to the roof , might see a hole drilled & cable coming out of it.  

Remember you can only walk on the ceiling joists up there  & there may be  very  deep layer of  insulation . 

Post  3 more times and you can post the photo .  

Last edited by a moderator:
As Kerching says  ...its a clock connector  , sometimes used for a light .     I'm guessing the cable goes up the chimney & comes out in the loft  & is connected to the upstairs lighting ......possibly .    Needs a trip into the loft space  ,  identify the chimney breast rising to the roof , might see a hole drilled & cable coming out of it.  

Remember you can only walk on the ceiling joists up there  & there may be  very  deep layer of  insulation . 

Post  3 more times and you can post the photo .  
Thank you I will have a look - the loft actually has flooring down and is a walkable space so will have a good look in there to see if I can see anything 

do you think it can be easily taken out or disconnected ? 

Thank you