Fuse Holder Melted In Fuse Box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ochu

Reaction score
Can someone please help explain why this may have happened.  My econ 7 storage heater stopped working, when I opened up the fuse box  I saw the entire fuse housing and part of the consumer unit melted.  This is an old school main board that uses fuses that have wires that you screw in. I will now have to replace the whole board now as you can see its severely damaged. My question is, if the storage heater was drawing a higher load of electricity due to some problem, why didnt the fuse wire just pop to cut of supply of electricity like its suppose to ? Would really appreciate your advice please
vldMvF.jpg.5affd9a0e8e0caf36ac9b06bf71d9125.jpg

probably a loose connection. the fuse is designed to detect overload / fault currents, not this

to be fair, its due a change anyway, and probably hasnt had any periodic inspections as required by wiring regulations , which would often have found issues like this before they become an problem like that

probably a loose connection. the fuse is designed to detect overload / fault currents, not this

to be fair, its due a change anyway, and probably hasnt had any periodic inspections as required by wiring regulations , which would often have found issues like this before they become an problem like that
Thx for the information, when you say a loose connection , do you mean a loose connection on the board where the fuse is housed ?

It's not a big job to change that, the challenge will be finding a replacement small enough to fit the space.
I am going to replace the economy 7 consumer unit thats damaged and while I am at it replace the normal non-economy 7 unit as well for safe measure.  Was thinking of maybe combining them both into one consumer unit , not sure if they are sold like that or is it better just to buy to separate units ?

I am going to replace the economy 7 consumer unit thats damaged and while I am at it replace the normal non-economy 7 unit as well for safe measure.  Was thinking of maybe combining them both into one consumer unit , not sure if they are sold like that or is it better just to buy to separate units ?

Are you a spark?

Repeating Murdo,s question  .  You can buy a combined board  but  if untrained you could find yourself in the brown stuff .   I guess you're not a Spark  as you didn't know you had a loose connection  or a badly fitting fuse . fuse  wire  etc .  
I have a friend who works with a spark so he can most probably do it

OK   but working with a spark  & being a Spark  are not really the same thing .      Many pitfalls are looming ....sorry to be negative  .    But  I'd recommend replace the boards  too.

OK   but working with a spark  & being a Spark  are not really the same thing .      Many pitfalls are looming ....sorry to be negative  .    But  I'd recommend replace the boards  too.
Sorry, what I meant was my friend will ask the spark to do it