Hiding A Cable Behind Architrave And Door Frame

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed51

Reaction score
Hi,
The property has had a new consumer unit fitted, all signed off and appropriate certificates issued. I've bought several corner clamps to make up a box frame to enclose new unit and rest of board next to it, then fashion a front for it. This will make everything clean, tidy and look the biz. However, there is a cable running down the side of the consumer unit, that looks very unsightly, less so if painted over but still very noticeable and should be hidden.

What I propose doing is, prise off the architrave, then use a muti tool to cut a bit out of the frame behind where the architrave was, then push the cable into this new gap and hiding it? There is slack above and below the cable to allow movement.

As just repositioning the cable, not making any new electrical connections I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem. However I thought it would be prudent to check on this electricians
forum. I don't want to run foul of any rules and regulations, that might invalidate the house insurance?...... then opens up a whole can of worms :)
Any opinions, advice appreciated.
Thank you.

A.JPG

B.JPG

C.JPG

D.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally I would say no to a cable behind an architrave.

However, in this case, it would be in the safe zone at a corner of a room, so there is no reason to say not to.

You could argue that leaving it as they did at least gave a heads-up to the bloke who brings his crowbar along to remove the architrave in 5 years time 
- as others have said it's compliant (if untidy)  as it's in a 'standard' area where cables should be presumed to run

Safe zones are up to and including 150 mm from the corner so the cable is ok

your new fuseboard ..... that “old” switch to the right, can you take a clearer picture of it? I’m curious!

Safe zones are up to and including 150 mm from the corner so the cable is ok

your new fuseboard ..... that “old” switch to the right, can you take a clearer picture of it? I’m curious!
Sure, see attached.

EFA.JPG

Normally I would say no to a cable behind an architrave.

However, in this case, it would be in the safe zone at a corner of a room, so there is no reason to say not to.
OK thanks for that, an electrician on a building forum said the same thing and included a diagram showing the safe zones. Though, as you are are all genuine, experienced,fully qualified electricians here and up to date with all the current regulations I thought it would be wise to ask here as well.

I'm not too keen on..... canned food :)

Thanks again :)

Oh dear yet another none compliant consumer unit, main earth should enter with the meter tails only minor but very common. Looks like a TT system @Murdoch so maybe a time delayed rcd although why he wouldnt remove it and just  fit a tails clamp that are easily availiable for CP Fusebox boards i dont know, especially if its got AC tripping characteristics and the boards full of type A rcbos.

Oh dear yet another none compliant consumer unit, main earth should enter with the meter tails only minor but very common. Looks like a TT system @Murdoch so maybe a time delayed rcd although why he wouldnt remove it and just  fit a tails clamp that are easily availiable for CP Fusebox boards i dont know, especially if its got AC tripping characteristics and the boards full of type A rcbos.

I very much doubt the grey switch is a time delay ....

I don't recognise the new CU either

Gil Lec and Ebay sell them  . .   

These would appear to be the same beasts, not personally seen them in real life before, but they appear to be supplying pre-equipped units with surge protection adjacent to main switch.

https://cpelectric.co.uk/

https://cpelectric.co.uk/shop/

https://cpelectric.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Fusebox-Catalogue-2019-1.pdf

It would be interesting to hear if any of our other members have seen or worked on these units and what the build-quality is like? 

Doc H.

Status
Not open for further replies.