Electric power more sustainable than...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I keep hearing that electric is the nice clean energy... 

and Petrol, Diesel, Gas etc..  are all nasty and dirty...…...

So if everything is going to be going electric....

How do we stop these sort of problems happening….?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsbirmingham/electrical-box-fire-shuts-down-part-of-birmingham-city-centre/ar-BBY08Sn?ocid=spartanntp

AND this was the second electrical fire 'which has caused chaos in Birmingham city centre in just over a month.

On November 1 an electrical fire broke out outside Tim Hortons in the city centre'.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. There must have been a lot of cable put down around the start of 20th century,  up to say 1920s when just about everyone in towns was connected. Probably some of that is still in place at 100 to120 years old.

this is part of why I believe electric vehicles are non-sense. The infrastructure is ancient and the cost of upgrading enormous. Hydrogen Fuel cells is the real answer in my opinion.

In the 90’s I put a cable installed in the 30’s back in service, it’s still there as far as I know.

Harmonics, along with joints and tee offs are the main problem. An old 0.3²in PILC will stand a higher load than its equivalent 195mm² PVC. The down side is the PILC cables will be 3½ core.

EV’s are really going to screw things up.

With electric vehicles they also have a manufacturing  footprint  , specially the  batteries I'd imagine ,  don't know what they are made from TBH. 

Also , unless you are in the Rocky Mountains  using hydro electric ,  generators need  to burn fuel to run .  

AND   ..did anyone take note of something Jeremy Clarkson said   ......  on "Who wants to be a Millionaire"   I think the contestant said he'd buy an electric car if he won enough cash .....Clarkson looked into the camera  & said "   Well best not think of the trade -in value on that then !"   

That stuck with me ,   when the batteries start to fail  they cost thousands to replace ...you wouldn't be buying a second hand one .  

What a line of thought.

Our state of the art digitally connected world, utilising wind and solar power, is totally dependant on infrastructure that's in its second century.

ON that subject I remember the old electric board   , MEB  ,  using Vauxhall  Bedford type vans converted to battery power , their guys said they were no problem  but I'd imagine they were the original electric milk float lead acids not this Star Trek stuff .      

Ev batteries are made from cobalt and apparently there isn’t that much readily available so don’t expect EVs to be the long term answer, although I did here that a company has developed a battery that is wafer thin yet last as long as a normal battery? Not heard much about it recently though. As any good invention probably been strategically shelved. :C  

Last edited by a moderator:
In a discussion in the 1960s   it was mooted that all the world's problems come down to one thing ...too many people .  

In 1760 , the year my g/g/g/g/grand father was born   the population  of England was 6,736,000  .     Today  it is 67,530172.     An increase of say   60 million .   

In a discussion in the 1960s   it was mooted that all the world's problems come down to one thing ...too many people .  

In 1760 , the year my g/g/g/g/grand father was born   the population  of England was 6,736,000  .     Today  it is 67,530172.     An increase of say   60 million .   
I personally think that is completely obvious, but it's so far from the influence of any politicians that they don't even dare speak of it, and instead just support campaigns like the present climate hysteria movement.

There are two types of man , one is extremely clever  & can do stuff like   land on the Moon  ............far outnumbered by the stupid  who allow themselves to be led by the nose  by the manipulators who use communism, fascism  ,  religion & class distinction   to control minds .

I'd like to bet that this Forum would be taken down in places like  China , Russia & North Korea  at the first criticism of the leadership .  

Sidewinder would be marched off to a correction camp as a revolutionary  leader . 

Even in "free " countries the people are constantly fooled .

Who , in the UK  , believes what the newspapers say , each having it's own agenda .

Even the weather  which was monitored by local radio WM  last week .  WM reported the BBC weather   where the Daily Express  had entirely different weather  with 50 ft snow drifts  & temperatures at 40 below . .

I was shown one example of newspaperisms  years ago ... juxtaposition editing sells papers ..... so a photo of Princess Diana  with a large headline ,  " Diana In drugs scandal "   or similar .   On closer inspection  tiny print told us that Diana visited a children's home or whatever ....while  Diana Scroggins  of Upper Downtown , was arrested for carrying an umbrella under the influence  of heroin .   

In the US  , apparently , they only show Olympic events with  Americans competing . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to laugh recently when they reported that there was problems with a gas main and the gas had to be shut off for a number of days they went on to show the local community centre where gas company staff were dishing out hotplates and heaters my immediate thought was this is going to cause problems and sure enough the reporter went on that due to the extremely cold snap that we had overnight there had been power outages because of the increased load

And they think all these EV's are not going to cause a problem

this is the huge eco elephant in the room, there's just too many people! 

Oddley enough they reckon the best way of reducing population growth is the emancipation of women. Working women want less kids, and have them much later in life. So to save the planet we need to support feminism around the world.

Anyone catch  that report early this week ,  some bloke demanding more benefits  because he finds he now has   seven children  and he can't feed them and they'll be having a poor Christmas .

They opened the phone lines and a bloke  says  " can't someone go round there and tell him to stop having kids he can't possibly feed & clothe " . 

that's non-sense, they have only capped benefits for families who don't have kids already as far as I'm aware. If he's had more kids since the cap, then he's a twot of the highest order, but his benefits for 6 kids should stretch quite easily.

Latest posts