Anyone use "Fuel Cards"?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not something I have ever thought about,  thought they were for the big boys with fleets of vehicles.

But today someone phoned offering me one.  The way it worked is the fuel you buy on one week gets paid for by direct debit the following week (so very short credit)  Saving of about 5p per litre on advertised pump price. Annual charge £18

Seems like a no brainer, you don't have to fill up much to save your £18

I am awaiting details from them.  So what is the catch?

used to use them, maybe 10 years ago. used to be worth it, you pay their price not the pump price. prices kept going up til it was cheaper to pay at the pump

catch is probably you need to buy 1000l per month or something or be charged a fortune

Doesn't sound like there is one Dave .                   Saving 5p ltr  is OK   .     When I was registered for VAT I saved about £6  on full tank .    

I don't see whats in it for them TBH   ,  £18 a year   doesn't put butter on the bread .       As I'm sure you know ...nothing is for nothing in this world .

I was phoned about this ages ago but took it as a scam call  TBH.

Andy is saying  you pay their price not pump price so they must make a profit there somehow. 

Shops etc  pay a percent to your  credit card when you use it so thats where their profit comes from .          For many years M&S  would refufse a credit card other than their own .  

For a truck driver , say ,  it would save the driver carrying loads of cash  but he would just use a credit card with a months credit.  .   So whats in it for the fuel card firm?  

This a bit like my hatred of agencies in our trade ,    agent recruits you & all your skills , tools , transport etc  ....sends you out to work in some dirty factors  or freezing your bits off on a building site  , while they sit on their barsoles  in a warm office  sending invoices out . 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a cut and paste from the email:

There are no surcharges with this card so you can go to any of these garages and get a fantastic commercial rate. Paired with the fact that there are no surcharges for using any of these stations, you also have the guarantee of the pump checker, if your commercial rate ever went above what the pump price is, you would be charged the pump price instead of our rate.

Our quoted price for diesel this week is 101.82ppl exc VAT and 122.18 inc VAT. This is around 6 pence off your local pump prices per litre. We do not operate with any hidden transaction fees or contracts. You don’t have to commit to any volume on the fuel cards, they are there to use at your discretion if you want a discount on your fuel and if you want to stop the hassle of collecting fuel receipts for your accounts/VAT reclaim. Our standard trial period is one month, however in this situation as you have never used fuel cards before, I would be willing to extend the trial to 3 months so that there is a longer period of time to see the benefits of using this card. After the trial our charge is £18 for the card.

Our payments are taken via direct debit initially on a weekly basis, if required, after a couple of months’ worth of trade history we can change that to a monthly payment to suit your needs.

The two things  need to clarfiy, are:  Does this also apply to petrol not just diesel?  And is that £18 per year.

Most oil comes out of the North Sea, passes us by, goes down to the refineries, and by the time it gets back up here, yes it is more expensive than that which makes it's way down to Brum.

You think it is expensive here, try buying it on the West coast, or Outer Hebridees.

Oh dear I'm being carried back to when I started driving ,  no not the man with the red flag walking in front , that was Kerch .    

A gallon  ( not a litre ! )  was  4/6d  old money   , converted is about  25p   per gallon so a litre would have been around   5.5 p    .  But of course  although we earned £5  week  you could feed & clothe  50 people for a week on that .  

20 fags  about  12p   ,   pint of mild about 15p,    the latest  45 RPM  vinyl record   7/6d  about 40p    ,  a computer about £2  trillion  ,  a cell phone  ..Eh!       

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts