UPS , Shutters connection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat14allegro

Reaction score
Good morning ,

I hope someone can help.

I am planning to install domestic roller shutter onto our home.

At first , I was going to appoint an electrician to run the wiring from the shutter motors to the lighting circuit, but then I realized that I need an emergency power supply, so shutters can be opened in case of a power cut.

I will run individual wires from each motor to a UPS.

I will have 8 shutters , 4 on each floor , 1 UPS upstairs and 1 downstairs. Smart UPS  APC 1500IC 900w , Motors power is 2 x 120W and 2 x 90W per floor , I connected the alarm and the Home Automation CLU to the upstairs UPS too.

Power connected per UPS is just over 50% of its capacity. UPS power IN is connected with a wall plug (with 6AMP fuse) and IEC C13 plug (rated at 10AMPs) from the wall socket to the UPS with 3 core 1.5mm wire.

Power OUT - Each motor will have IEC C14 at the end to connect to the UPS.

Ground is connected from the wall plug to C13 plug , and UPS has a separate screw for a ground which is also connected from C13 plug( I added an external wire to the plug )– all connected as per PIC1&PCI2)

Motors come with 3 metre 4 core 0.75mm wire , installation manual show connection with 0.75mm to the roller shutters operating switch , then 1.5mm from the switch to the circuit.

My installation is slightly different as it will be controlled by CLU and I need to extend the cable)

Is there any issue with connecting the 0.75mm wire from the motor to a 1.5mm wire in a junction box to extend the length of the cable  from 3m to around 9-10m, then this extended cable will be connected via C14 plug to the UPS?( I understand that regulation state that wire to the UPS should not be longer than 10m). Does the cable between UPS and the motor need any addition protection? My understanding is that Ups will protect the motor and the cable.

Is the ground the UPS connected in a correct way (PIC1&PIC2)?

Do I need any other protection at any point of my installation that I didn’t think about ?

Am I right in thinking that if motors are connected to the UPS, I do not need NEC Cert for small alternation?

Are there any regulation/ advise stating that UPS can not be placed close to Consumer unit or in the same room where hot water tank is ? I don’t really like having Ups in a room with water tank, but I am struggling to find another place for it.

Temperature in this room is around 26 degrees with 40% humidity. I may move it to the loft next year, but first roof needs to be insulated, as at the moment temperature is around 9-10 degreed and Humidity is 85-95%. (PIC3)

I added some home automation modules around the house, when whole system is finished ,  I will appoint an electrician to check and issue a new electrical safety cert , but for the time being I would like to make sure that all is done correctly.

Thank you for your help in advance,

2a276b6e6bb3564ac71d42be385f8de1-full.jpg.29677f9cce035b8cb8c07aafc7b06eb2.jpg
47bb355242d314bf5e91f0da7aadc02c-full.jpg.e4e030dd143d5ef5d67fc282d2255bfb.jpg
642956ad404311a2d7be0c3c6d53c41e-full.jpg.91b9890be43ee7e87db9985e774bc197.jpg

I think you are over complicating matters.

if the only entrance to your garage is via an electric door, then you need to make sure that there is a mechanical method of opening it from the outside.

Best you ask the garage door supplier.

ive seen people have single electric door, no mechanical access and the fuseboard in the garage ...... then the only way in will be destroying the door when the fuseboard trips ....

Hi again and thank you for your quick response.

I'm in the UK,  apologies for using terms "Ground" , although I do know that UK is using term "Earth " , I use both. Will stick to "Earth" from now on 😊

And correct , the shutters are for windows , not for a garage doors , there are many benefits of having domestic window shutters in your homes( security , better insulation both in Summer and in the Winter , noise reduction) , although domestic shutters are not very popular in the UK. 

I can’t use mechanical backup , it’s advised( not forbidden) not to install outside shutters due to evacuation during fire, this is why shutters are electric with additional UPS back up.

Shutters will communicate with Smoke detectors via CLU , as soon as smoke is detected , all shutter will open automatically, If there is a power cut , shutters will open automatically.

Please let me know if you think that I am missing something.

Do I need any NEC cert for this kind of installation ?

Best,

UPS will work on shutters, fit them often enough

you cannot rely on them opening on UPS in an emergenc. you must ensure you have other means of escape

Not familiar with domestic internal window shutters, can they be mechanically overridden by pulling say the red tab like you have on electric garage doors?

So unless it is a cheap thing is there any need for a UPS if there is a mechanical override?

in my case yes, the over ride is often on the inside. if the power fails and the shutter is down and your outside, you need to remove signage or pop the guides off etc to get in

Do I need any NEC cert for this kind of installation ?
Not familiar with NEC    .    It is expected that any NEW circuit  is notified to Local Building Control  which means you have to use  a registered electrician  or ask Building Control to certify it  or  like most people , just do it . 

I am surprised the shutters do not have a safe release method in case of fire  without all the UPS stuff  .      With your system , if you burn the toast , all the shutters will go up . 

Not familiar with NEC    .    It is expected that any NEW circuit  is notified to Local Building Control  which means you have to use  a registered electrician  or ask Building Control to certify it  or  like most people , just do it . 

I am surprised the shutters do not have a safe release method in case of fire  without all the UPS stuff  .      With your system , if you burn the toast , all the shutters will go up . 

shutters dont have a 'safe release method' for the simple reason of they dont need it. they are not intended to be used on fire exits etc other than security when the building is unoccupied. what the OP is wanting to do on his hous it not normal... if it means he cooks in it then thats his problem for not having alternative means of escape that can be opened easily. never rely on a UPS working if there is a fire and hoping for the best

Take your point Andy ,    I'm thinking in terms of a   must have , fail safe release  mechanical .  

Isn't it a  requirement for double glazing to include a fire escape window ..type thing.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk to your local fire prevention officer.

A UPS is fallible, I’ve had a couple fail on critical systems. In each case they had been sat there for years and never had to kick in until needed, then they fell flat on their face. All we lost was data, you’re talking about life.

Latest posts