Storage Heaters not turning on at night (economy 7)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadi

Reaction score
Hi guys,

first post so go easy please.

i have Dimplex DuoHeat storage heater in my flat model- 300n.

i have a total of 4 and 3 of them don’t turn on at night time.

ive taken the front plate off but can’t seem to find any kind of reset.

any help appreciated.

many thanks 

1)    They're not switched on at the local isolator . 

2)   All three have a blown overheat  link. 

3) All three  input stats are  turned right down . 

4)  Some circuit breakers may be switched off in the board .

Hi guys,

I have Dimplex DuoHeat 300n storage heaters.

I’ve set it all up To come on during off peak hours (hold down + for 15secs, etc); I’ve checked the power is coming- there are 2 switches with lights on them. One for day rate and one for night, both on during the night.

only 1 of the 4 heaters in my flat come on during the night. I’ve taken the front cover off but can’t seem to see any place to reset anything. The heaters are relatively new so I can’t imagine they’d have a melting thermal switch (mind my lingo if I got that wrong)

any advice would be appreciated.
many thanks 

Hi guys,

I have Dimplex DuoHeat 300n storage heaters.

I’ve set it all up To come on during off peak hours (hold down + for 15secs, etc); I’ve checked the power is coming- there are 2 switches with lights on them. One for day rate and one for night, both on during the night.

only 1 of the 4 heaters in my flat come on during the night. I’ve taken the front cover off but can’t seem to see any place to reset anything. The heaters are relatively new so I can’t imagine they’d have a melting thermal switch (mind my lingo if I got that wrong)

any advice would be appreciated.
many thanks 
Do you mean only 1 of the off peak wall switches lights up at night or something actually on the heaters tells you there is no off peak power?

1)    They're not switched on at the local isolator . 

2)   All three have a blown overheat  link. 

3) All three  input stats are  turned right down . 

4)  Some circuit breakers may be switched off in the board .

5) the local isolation switches are faulty/ have failed

6) the cold ones all have failed elements

7) if the fuseboard has rewireable fuses they might have blown

Thanks for your reply.

they all have power... just the night mode doesn’t turn on for some reason apart from 1 out of the 4. 

Do you mean only 1 of the off peak wall switches lights up at night or something actually on the heaters tells you there is no off peak power?
Thanks for your reply.

they all have power... just the night mode doesn’t turn on for some reason apart from 1 out of the 4. I can feel the heat from 1 only... the other 3 are stone cold.

5) the local isolation switches are faulty/ have failed

6) the cold ones all have failed elements

7) if the fuseboard has rewireable fuses they might have blown
1 of the heaters has not worked for a few months (early 2019) but the other 2 where working fine a few weeks ago.

They are switched on and for 3 isolation switches to become faulty within a few months is a bit of a coincidence?

i have definitely put the input up to maximum on all 3.

my fuse board has MCBs (all tripped and set again)

any ideas on how to check the rest?

thanks 

1 of the heaters has not worked for a few months (early 2019) but the other 2 where working fine a few weeks ago.

They are switched on and for 3 isolation switches to become faulty within a few months is a bit of a coincidence?

i have definitely put the input up to maximum on all 3.

my fuse board has MCBs (all tripped and set again)

any ideas on how to check the rest?

thanks 

Can you explain this in more detail?

Thanks for your reply.

they all have power... just the night mode doesn’t turn on for some reason apart from 1 out of the 4. 

Thanks for your reply.

they all have power... just the night mode doesn’t turn on for some reason apart from 1 out of the 4. I can feel the heat from 1 only... the other 3 are stone cold.
 I will ask again.

Do the lights on the off peak WALL SWITCHES come on at night or not?

We know they have daytime power so please answer if the wall switches light up at night?

The other obvious question is, have they EVER worked properly or have they just been fitted?

Can you explain this in more detail?
Sorry for the confusion. I tripped and reset them myself.

I will ask again.

We know they have daytime power so please answer if the wall switches light up at night?

The other obvious question is, have they EVER worked properly or have they just been fitted?
they all have power (all off peak isolation switches light up at night time as do the day time ones all the time)

I will ask again.

All switches light up at the appropriate times (off peak at night/peak ones at all times)

they used to work fine until 2 recently stopped working at night and 1 stopped a few weeks ago

Sorry everyone if I’ve caused any confusion.

ill start again

generally I’m quite practical and would have checked the obvious stuff (MCBs, switches, etc)

but you guys don’t know that so here goes.

as mentioned above I have 4 of these heaters;

they are all getting power in the day (isolation switches light up)

they Are all getting power in the night (isolation switches light up)

they are all set up to heat up at night- held down the ‘+’ for 15secs, set desired temperature, etc.

they’ve all been working fine for the last 3yrs.

1 is working perfectly as it should

1 stopped heating up at night early 2019 (but still works in comfort mode (normal mode)

2 of them (But not at the exact same time) stopped working in the last few weeks. Similarly they work fine in comfort mode but don’t warm up in off peak mode.

i have double checked all isolation switches and fuse board (MCBs) again to make sure and it all seems fine.

Thanks for your reply’s.

These Duo heat ones are more complicated than an ordinary storage heaters due to the electronic controls.  But if they are failing to heat at night, then it could be the plain old simple over heat switch has tripped.  I don't know if the duo heats use a mechanical resettable over heat thermostat, or a heat fuse which needs replacing.