Hive heating install problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off the top,of my head, and on a Saturday evening:   

You haven't described the problem, so I assume the boiler doesn't run when you think it should. 

I don't know anything about the boiler so I don't know what that fault code means. Do you have the manual?

It looks from the picture that you have used a bit of 3 core cable and used the earth as a live return from the 'stat. 

That's not good practice. Go on , lash out and buy a bit of four or five core and do the job properly!

Are you sure you have the 'stat connections right?  I seem to recall that single and dual channel Hive units differ in their connections.

Then, disconnect the 'stat and put the link shown on the boiler label back.

Does it work now?  If so you know it's the 'stat connection, so re-read the instructions for that.

Just guessing, but is that live output from the boiler ALWAYS live?   Just maybe the 'stat needs a permanent live and that isn't one.

Where does the three core taped up earth go to? It’s not to the back plate that you show or is it? 
The taped up earth is in terminal 3 on the back plate. - heating on (NO)

wired as follows

N - neutral from boiler 

L - live from term. 2 from boiler

1. Common - linked wire with L 

2 - Heating off (NC) unused

3 - heating on (NO) live return term. 1 from boiler

4 - unused

im thinking now that maybe I need another core, a live, neutral to the stat, then remove the link from L to 3 on the plate then use from term 2 on the boiler to term (Common) on the plate then term 3 on the plate to term 1 on the boiler? Thanks for your help. 

Off the top,of my head, and on a Saturday evening:   

You haven't described the problem, so I assume the boiler doesn't run when you think it should. 

I don't know anything about the boiler so I don't know what that fault code means. Do you have the manual?

It looks from the picture that you have used a bit of 3 core cable and used the earth as a live return from the 'stat. 

That's not good practice. Go on , lash out and buy a bit of four or five core and do the job properly!

Are you sure you have the 'stat connections right?  I seem to recall that single and dual channel Hive units differ in their connections.

Then, disconnect the 'stat and put the link shown on the boiler label back.

Does it work now?  If so you know it's the 'stat connection, so re-read the instructions for that.

Just guessing, but is that live output from the boiler ALWAYS live?   Just maybe the 'stat needs a permanent live and that isn't one.
Thanks. See below for latest. I’ll try again tomorrow I’m thinking you may be right with a permanent L & N then two other wires to replace the link wire in the boiler. 

I wonder if anybody can work out where I’ve gone wrong here? See pics. Baxi duotec boiler. 
https://imgur.com/m1hcndP

Incorrect flex, using a CPC as a live conductor is my first observation, after which I lost interest. Anyone using incorrect cable/flex for a job should probably be seeking professional help rather than a bodged up attempt where they cannot appreciate the guidance of correct cable identification colours.

Doc H.