Quality (?) work in a refurb ...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why do we bother to do things right? 

A few pickies I took today when changing some lights for a new customer:

HH1a.jpg

This is how the loft was left, rolled back insulation and a distinct lack of clips

HH2a.jpg

The downlights are going to get nice and hot

HH3a.jpg

I could hear the fan!

HH4a.jpg

Shame there's no ducting

HH5a.jpg

and why run the cables outside of the pipes ?

And this was done by a spark - as yet no certification !

I couldn't take any pictures of this one.

But a house I worked on recently (new CU and CU relocation, and some wiring alterations)  They had an East European man do some fancy dropped lighting scheme in the living room.  The new lighting scheme was set up with 3 lighting zones ans 2 way switching from each end of the room.

I was somewhat surprised to see three 1G light switches side by side at each end of the room.

Unscrewing one revealed 2 core & earth with a brown sleeved CPC. 

I suspect pipes were put in after cables? 

apparently now Napit have taken over stroma they are badgering those higher up to sort the 5ww course? So this sort of install should soon be a thing of the past  :facepalm:

I can maybe, almost, might understand (but obviously not accept) not clipping cables and insulation on top of the gu10’s, but I can’t understand no ducting on the fan, what the heck do they think is going to happen to all the humid air?

The Extra humidity from the bathroom shall act to impede any 5ww related fire spreading too far  (19th edition preview) 

Went to commission a pv install on a partial refurb, found rats nests of cables everywhere, very poor board change, meter tails too short/ unsupported, all switches and sockets at odd heights / wierd locations and a bathroom fan that vents into the ceiling void!

Builders electrician, obviously no paperwork but at least it was cheap! 

:shakehead