So what's the latest Whirlpool Washer fire issue?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They keep taking on the news about "when the heater is on a large current sets fire to the door lock"  or words to that effect.

How on earth does turning the heating element on set fire to the door lock?  It is not remotely related.

How on earth does turning the heating element on set fire to the door lock?  It is not remotely related.

In true pantomime fashion, "oh yes it is".  (said the man from whirlpool).

"When the heating element in the washing machine is activated, in very rare cases a component in the door lock system can overheat, which, depending on product features, can pose a risk of fire," Whirlpool said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
But that tells you nothing technical.

The door lock is usually a solenoid, presumably 240V?  So I ask again, how does turning on the heating element, set fire to the door lock.  How does all this extra current pass through the door lock?

But that tells you nothing technical.

The door lock is usually a solenoid, presumably 240V?  So I ask again, how does turning on the heating element, set fire to the door lock.  How does all this extra current pass through the door lock?
that’s why the heaters are faulty Dave they’re over heating everything in there vicinity!! 

theyve probably fitted a cheapo switch designed for 5a, and 'interlocked' the heater etc through it, instead of the switch telling the processor its locked and safe to switch stuff on

It does appear that they have taken the heater load through the door switch.  There was one shown on our TV news last night, in the hands of an independent repairer, with the wiring melted close to what appeared were push on terminals and the plastic of the switch itself distorted. 

I'm only guessing but a lot of appliances widely use standard micro switches which usually say 10 amp rating.

Ah I see that makes sense.  I thought the door lock was just that, a lock, it is on some older machines I have seen.

So  they have added a door switch to disable the heater and (presumably) motor if the door is not shut. And some bean counter decided to switch the loads directly through the switch and not have the expense of a relay.  It now looks like the switch is melting under load.

Can anyone else see a certain irony in what is supposed to be a safety feature that has been added, is now causing them to catch fire?

And if I was cynical (what me?) I would bet the "solution" is to re engineer it so the same switch is in a metal housing that won't burn.

If I had one of these machines, I think I would just bypass the door switch and just rely on the door lock, like in the old days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard an expert from  Electrical Safety First  earlier , saying there are the three brands  Whirlpool, Hotpoint & Indisit    all I believe  use identical parts etc .

The door switch is likely to set fire  and to stop using them immediately , contact the number given with  your serial number and a NEW machine will be supplied. 

On top of the long running Whirlpool  drier problem  this smacks of poor management  allowing poor engineering .         Don't tell me they are being made in China now  !!!   

Their plant used to be near Llandudno    .   Always had Hotpoint washing machines without any problems at all   ,  needed a door seal once  , no Hotpoint parts in stock ,  no problem Sir , take this Zanussi  one , they're all the same .