Thought I'd wrapped up last week .........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...........  then an old & valued customer phones  with  their halogen hob tripping the RCD   ,  30000  people coming over Christmas   etc .  So sent them to Currys  to get  a new hob with the same drop in size   ,  up there this morning to fit it .   I'd have been " unavailable "  for anyone else   but a customer who has you back over 25 yrs  I think deserves better . 

...........  then an old & valued customer phones  with  their halogen hob tripping the RCD   ,  30000  people coming over Christmas   etc .  So sent them to Currys  to get  a new hob with the same drop in size   ,  up there this morning to fit it .   I'd have been " unavailable "  for anyone else   but a customer who has you back over 25 yrs  I think deserves better . 

Existing , loyal customers are always at the top of my list

You want time off at christmas, how selfish can you get?

After I came out of my time I was on shift for 16 christmases in a row but the money and the food made up for it. Cooking turkey and beef under a cement kiln is an art. My shift fitter and I would be racing around between plants delivering meats from one plant in exchange for vegetables at another. Half a gallon of gravy was a problem.

Been on call the last week, most of the jobs are through a building maintenance company, who, have as one of their clients a large company who provide accomodation (normally converted houses)  for adults with learning disabilities, its an odd set up, this company are effectivly just the landlords, the care staff are provided by other firms, anyway I digress, the building maint company have gained some extra areas at contract renewal.

Late friday afternoon, sent to a place about an hours drive away, kitchen light not working, called in advance "Is it a long strip light", Yes"...... "can you judge the length eg. 6 foot or 5 foot" "I think its about 6 foot, but could be 5". Ok then, I really didn't want to be up the creak, went to wholesaler, took 6', 5' and 4' T8 tubes and even some 5' T5s even though T5 are rare in domestic. Plus selection of starters. After farting around trying to find the place (there is a bunch of properties on this rooad tucked a long way down a long snicket / shared drive). Walk in at half 5, shown in, to see..... an 8foot T12 fitting (in a domestic kitchen!). Where the hell do you get an 8foot tube at half past 5 on the last friday before christmas?! Where do you get one at the best of times?! So best put a new fitting up I guess....drive half an hour to the nearest toolstation, manage to get a 6' LED fitting, back to site, fit it, fill in cert and job card, then drive  an hour back home.

Then on saturday, I get one in about the furthest property they cover, its just over 2 hour drive from me, in Deke's stomping ground (If only I'd had his number!!), bathroom light not working, call out, manage to get them to confirm its a round fitting, flat out refuse to email me a picture (I'm guessing not good with tech - as this career later complained about having to sign the job card on the tablet we use), I'll have to go for it, its probably going to be a 28W 4pin 2D which I carry, and if not I have a replacement fitting that will get fitted. So drive 2 hours 15,  wait while they find the signing in sheet, change lamp and starter, fill out maintenance log (most of the sites don't bother), get my paperwork signed, find out light been out since thursday, back in van, drive back, re-fuel.  So thats a touch over 5 hours on double time to change a lamp and starter.

I'm covering callout Christmas eve as well, joy of joys

What area was the job by the way?

Selly Oak (now you are probably going to say birmingham is a huge place and thats no where near you anyway, probably)

As for materials, have basic spare on van, hopefully thats enough to do something even if have to return in the new year

I got called to diagnose a breakdown a couple of weeks back. Simple fault, 2 wires crossed (by our own guys 🙁). New site to me, never been there before.

I fixed that but left the kit out of action as I noted a function not working. A switch was missing parts and I was pretty sure they were obsolete. I said to the client we had 3 options; to get new parts if possible or 3D print or even hand make if possible. The last two were said half jokingly.

I got the switches from the States after 2 weeks to find some pi$$y little bits of plastic were yet another part number. I got a mate to 3D print them but because of the Christmas post they didn't arrive in time for when I promised the client. I thus hand made the bits and went in Friday and fitted them. Client was really grateful and even invited me for a beer. I then went back yesterday and fitted the 3D printed bits. 

Nice site, nice people. Sometimes it's nice to go the extra mile. 

I just like the idea that the next electricians tool is a 3D printer to manufacturer our own copies of parts. 
if everybody signs up to this we could make China a third world country again? 

I just like the idea that the next electricians tool is a 3D printer to manufacturer our own copies of parts. 
if everybody signs up to this we could make China a third world country again? 

And to feed the workers there's a plethora of 3D food printers out there from pizzas to chocolate. Won't be long until we get a real Replicator!

tea.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well about 10 miles away... ...I,m betting if it was Selly Oak it was a student let as Birmingham Uni  dominates the area. 

It's fantastic down there isn't it :tongueincheek ????? a massive difference to Edgebaston

Daughter's a student and lives down Tiverton road....... apparently it's one of the better ones