RCD problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Walker

Reaction score
Hi, my names Mick. I live off grid in 7 acres of woodland near Chepstow. I've been here 3 years now and can't imagine life anywhere else. 

I have a spring for water and 640w of solar supplying 3x100w deep cell batteries. 

I also have a 3kw diesel generator to run my washing machine and at this time of year to up my batteries. The genny has been performing perfectly well for 16 months but last week the 16amp RCD kept flipping. 

I checked the extension from the gen and the wiring to the washer(&water pump). All good. After resetting for the 10th time, the RCD stopped working. I have replaced it with a 25amp unit and it was still the same,even with nothing plugged into the gen.

The original RCD unit had the earth and negative wired into the same side of the RCD which I have copied onto the replacement. 

Today I tried it one last time and it is working perfectly. I know these intermittent problems are the worst but winter is the when the batteries, therefore my,for want of a better word 'house's, needs it the most.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and for any advice you might have to offer.

Mick