Can anyone settle a query ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the EU  /Common Market   ban the use of  savoury jelly in pork pies ?    I'm sure someone told me they did  and I never see a pork pie with jelly any more .   :C     

I hope so. Love a pork pie but not the jelly. Ate one yesterday but can't say I noticed as was a few beers in.

Watched a fascinating documentary the other month on how they make gala pie and achieve the "continuous" egg...I don't get out much.

I do appreciate a thorough  answer and Sharpie has certainly done that .     The original document can be viewed above .         (Now do you see why we should leave)? 

So we can all rest in our beds tonight ,   sheep may safely graze  because the following applies  .  ( Ands its NOT made up . )

According to Regulation  (EU)  1151/2012 dated 21 Nov 2012 Article 53 (2)(2)  thereof  repealed the Council Regulation (EC) 510/2006 of March 2006  Assording to sub paragraph of Article9(1)  and registered in accordance with the Commission Regulation  566/2009(3)  .........

"There will be a layer of jelly between the filling and the outer pastry "  

Well NOT round 'ere there  'aint  no more.   

Sharpie I salute your research skills . 

Years ago I worked in a butchers where they made their own pies

they bought the pigs as a 'half'........i.e. Babe has been topped, guts ripped out and cut from M hole to A hole with a multi tool. The owner was always s happier when he got the half with the tail."more meat'

big prressure cooker type thing.....mix all boiled up gizzards, lips, eyelids, tongue, slithery bits, snout, squeal etc then inject the result into the top of the pie

just informing

only difference between him and Fred Elliot ( the crafty butcher) was he didn't take his deliveries around the back

The head meat can similarly be made into "brawn". It amounts to bits of meat in jelly, set in a dish.  Tip it out and slice it.. I've not had it for quite a while but used to love it.

Worst place I ever did any work in a rendering facility, they used a similar cooking process, but cooked up anything that that died on the farm, bits the butcher didn't want (inc out of date and rancid stuff) etc. They would produce materials such as tallow and bonemeal, there were different classes of it, class three was the least hazardous and could be used in pet food, etc, class 1was egenrated from dead farm animals, etc and could generally only be used for burning for fuel (I beleive the classes had been introduced in the wake of teh BSE crisis, or at least the restrictions tightened up)

Every part of that place was horrible, the cookhouse was more or less what I picture Hell would be like, hot, smelly, poorly lit, everything exceedingly dirty, the receieving sheds with their interlocked twin roller doors certainly weren't pleasant on a hot day, and the worst smell at all was the water treatment plant that seemed to fling greasy/****ty water everywhere, including at some pieces of switchgear.

I don't consider industrial enviromments covered in welding dust as particualy dirty anymore, its quite nice to just be able to wash some dust off rather than a smell that can linger for ages....

Latest posts