What type of cable needed for connection to campsite 500m from power supply?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HJC90

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to find the most cost effective way of supplying power to a small campsite approximately 500m from the main farmstead (the closest power current power supply). (coordinates from 51.001472, -1.989890  to  51.003439, -1.996037)

Ideally, the power supply would be equivalent to a normal house (power kettles, hoovers, and cookers if necessary) - so given the cabling is likely to be very expensive, I wouldn't want there to be limitations in the future.

My first question is whether anyone would know what type of cabling would be required for this distance, secondly a rough estimation of cost, and thirdly whether any additional equipment would be required. 

Apologies in advance if these are ridiculous questions or if there's a much better way of doing this.

Thanks in advance!

If the load is equivalent to a house, you won't just be running it from the farmsteads supply then will you?

So contact your DNO and get them to give you quote for a new supply to the location you specify, and let them take care of cable sizing etc and where to take the supply from.

Thanks ProDave, so the most cost effective way of doing this is always to contact the DNO? Was hoping to find a way of keeping costs down and do some of the trenching myself.

If you had the capacity in your house supply, then you would be looking at a very large and hence very expensive cable to get power over that distance without too much voltage drop.  Chances are the DNO might have a supply network available somewhere closer?

If the load is equivalent to a house, you won't just be running it from the farmsteads supply then will you?

So contact your DNO and get them to give you quote for a new supply to the location you specify, and let them take care of cable sizing etc and where to take the supply from.

DNO wont have a cable there. its middle of a field in the middle of nowhere

going to need a large cable for that...

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a supply anywhere closer. The nearest power line on the farm is the one that connects to the farm buildings. There isn't much else around: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Chalke+Valley+Camping/@51.003232,-1.9968173,1186m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x3355bfebbe84d246!8m2!3d51.003232!4d-1.9961891

Really just trying to work out whether this is going to be so expensive that it would be completely out of the question - although, it sounds like this might only be answered by the DNO?

I would re evaluate what you actually want to power?

In my day "camping" was very much an off grid activity.

Assuming you want hot water for showers etc, and some form of cooking facilities, all that can be done with bottled gas.  Lighting could be LED lights, batteries and solar panels.  What more do you need?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a supply anywhere closer. The nearest power line on the farm is the one that connects to the farm buildings. There isn't much else around: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Chalke+Valley+Camping/@51.003232,-1.9968173,1186m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x3355bfebbe84d246!8m2!3d51.003232!4d-1.9961891

Really just trying to work out whether this is going to be so expensive that it would be completely out of the question - although, it sounds like this might only be answered by the DNO?

expensive yes. going by a 16a at that distance itll need to be at least 35mm, probably 50mm² 35mm² will cost you around £2500 just for the cable. go to 50 and itll be £3300. and thats for just one caravan pitch

if you were to go with 80a supply, thats 185mm². thatll only cost £12.5k

then there is the installation, digging trench (which has to be deep for a camping site). all other mateials for fitting etc..

Thanks - that's really useful.

I'm not sure how many amps it would need. There are no caravan pitches, just bell tents (which don't need electricity). However, there is a communal shelter and kitchen for when the weather is bad, and for parties. Ideally, I'd replace the two (very temperamental) gas showers with electric showers. 

the 2 showers would be 40-45a each. + lighting etc youd be looking at a 100a supply. probably a larger cable now... going to be 2 very expensive showers

Could you not install a gas boiler for hot water and heating? This would significantly reduce your expected load and cable size.

From past experience of getting a new DNO supply to remote comms mast sites I hope you are sitting comfortably when you get the quote

About 18 years ago got quote for one site that was about 130M from the closest overhead DNO supply only needed 8 - 10 KVA single phase and that was quoted at £120K

To get a sensible size supply over that distance your best bet will be 3 or even 4 cables in parallel.

Running single cable of the size required is just not practical. 

Remember also that when calculating volt drop that as the cable will be run so fr under its current carryin capacity and will be running very cool then volt drop will be a little less than it first appears, theres a correction factor you can apply then you can recalcuate and possibly go down a size or so, which is likely a consideable saving at the length and csa likely to be required

Thanks for your helpful comments. Running smaller cables in parallel sounds like it might be the best option.

So - in theory, for a very basic supply (no showers) for the communal shelter (lighting etc), 50mm would be sufficient. Then in the future, if I wanted to run supply to 3 individual pitches (small glamping pods with their own electric showers), I would need to run 3 additional cables of roughly what size?

Have also requested a quote from SSE..... I'm preparing myself for a shock....

Have also requested a quote from SSE..... I'm preparing myself for a shock....
It would be interesting to know how much they quote as looking at Google Earth and Street View there doesn't appear to be any reason for the DNO to have a lot of capacity available in the area