DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Sharpend

Perhaps I’m losing my understanding?????

ProDave

It does seem bonkers.  Why can't WE just accept the events are part of the games and include them in this country?

Whoever made that stupid decision needs replacing?

kerching

I think Deke will be able to confirm this

on a weekend Brum is absolutely gridlocked with cars and coaches on their way to Beach Volleyball events!

it is in my opinion another example of the Snowflake influence....just let it be as it was

Evans Electric

Well its a damn nuisance  as Kerch says  ,  thousands of visitors flocking in ,  right load of bloomin' flockers  ,    not only the Beach Volley Ball  but surfers filling our beaches ...waxing their bloomin' surf boards  in the Bull Ring , showing off their sun bronzed bodies ,  constantly singing   "  Surf City  Here we Come ""  and  "Surfing USA"    .

On 06/01/2020 at 22:07, Sharpend said:

can someone explain this to me? 

Its Birmingham mate ...  council are on another planet ,  they're demolishing a major flyover by us to build the Olympic Village ,  the whole population of the city  signed the petition against it ,   which they ignored and are pressing ahead with it .        

1000  other cities turned down the Commonwealth  Games because of cutting back on services ,  the same applies here ...they can't fill a pothole  but can host the games .  

They are demolishing all the buildings adjacent to the proposed village ....demolished a university and now  ...where two major commuter roads actually combine into one at the flyover ,  they are building an  olympic  village  with some kind of massive traffic interchange around it .  

They also build bicycle lanes everywhere  , paint 'em blue ,   we have yet to see a bicycle  on one of them . 

Their plan, starting this month ,   to ban all cars  in the city centre older than  3 hours   has been shelved for the time being ....mean while they are spending our money on fitting clean engines into all the taxis  .   

Sharpend

Ah they are doing what they done in London, flattened the old built all new but left the same people there and they expected the area to be better?? 

Evans Electric

Well this "Village "  will become council housing when the games are over  and the area down there ,  1 mile from the stadium is  ...erm  ..leaves a lot to be desired  ...  it won't be middle class, white  families with jobs that move in . 

Sharpend

But you have to see past that, think of the extra income for the city during the games! 

Evans Electric

Its costing us a fortune at the moment  .   Would most incoming cash be going to the hotels , restaurants & clubland .

I'm thinking of the two  football clubs in the city  ,  people arrive by car , train & coach  & generally leave  after full time ,  profits made  by the club  & the local pubs .   Doubt many stay for a meal  .   

Citizens won't be seeing any of it  & they'll wack the council tax up next year to pay for it .

I just see councillors , empire building  TBH. 

Edited by Evans Electric

Sharpend

Difference with football is it is one game played over 90 minutes, the games will draw crowds that stay for a few days at a time therefore local economy will benefit. 

Evans Electric

Its getting worse here !     This morning's local news ....Birmingham City Council are now to push through  not only a clean air zone for the city centre  but NO cars at all !!!    Want everyone to use the  newly laid cycle lanes     (  Yeah because at the moment we have yet to see a bike on them )      Just keep spending our hard earned cash why don't you . 

Plus  a 20 MPH  speed  throughout the city  other than main roads.  

Anyone want a  Loony lefty Labour council  'cos we don't want 'em !!!

ProDave

I remember as a boy seeing window cleaners on pushbikes with the ladder strapped to the crossbar.  And even tradesmen with tool boxes in various baskets and panniers.

You could set a trend Deke, as an environmental friendly electrician.  From what you say of the congestion, it would be just as quick to cycle?

Evans Electric

You have a point Dave ,    I remember window cleaners with a ladder , riding a bike .      Trouble is everything has to be done at 300  MPH  these days .   You've made me think of when I was a kid  ,  we had the  Co-op  milkman   and the local bakery delivering each day by horse & cart ,  I used to go out to speak to the horses .   Then the milk changed to an electric milk  float .   Oh and the coal man came on a horse & cart too.  

Also a bloke rode a bike  carrying a short ladder on his shoulder , he stopped at the end of each street to put the ladder up to the gas lamp post in the middle of the road  between bollards  and light it .      He returned early mornings to put them out again .     Then a clockwork timeswitch was fitted  but he still came to wind it up .  

ANd , while I'm at it ,   on our corner we had a red box on a pillar , about a foot square , with a smash glass  in it's door , inside was a phone direct to the Fire Service.   

Sharpend
6 hours ago, Evans Electric said:

Its getting worse here !     This morning's local news ....Birmingham City Council are now to push through  not only a clean air zone for the city centre  but NO cars at all !!!    Want everyone to use the  newly laid cycle lanes     (  Yeah because at the moment we have yet to see a bike on them )      Just keep spending our hard earned cash why don't you . 

Plus  a 20 MPH  speed  throughout the city  other than main roads.  

Anyone want a  Loony lefty Labour council  'cos we don't want 'em !!!

this is common in London, 20mph zones, personally I think they are pushing to get everyone to do 20mph it’s more 10-15mph on average!!  

apparently this is a blueprint for all major cities in this land. 20mph zones, more cycle routes, zero cars in city centres, green buses and lorries/vans only. So you’re at the forefront of this new fresher clean environment!! 

Evans Electric

What about the rest of us  who live  outside the centre ?     Where the extra traffic will be pushed to ,  there'll be twice as much pollution  . 

Sharpend

But by that time we will all have a green car so it’ll be a wasted cause?

Evans Electric

One wonders how much battery manufacture affects the climate .  Also the the prime driver for the generators needs to be "Green"    not  diesel , gas , coal  etc. 

Sharpend

The question is how will they recycle the batteries? 

Murdoch
3 minutes ago, Sharpend said:

The question is how will they recycle the batteries? 

The elephant in the room!

binky
18 hours ago, Murdoch said:

The elephant in the room!

not really that's quite easy and worth while as there's lots of precious metals to reclaim. The elephant is the supply of said precious metals to make betteries in the first place.

Murdoch
1 hour ago, binky said:

not really that's quite easy and worth while as there's lots of precious metals to reclaim. The elephant is the supply of said precious metals to make batteries in the first place.

Isn't that the same thing ?

UNG

How councils make their decisions is beyond me, on one hand they are trying to stop the high street dying and on the other hand they want to ban vehicles accessing the town and city centres. So how do the companies on the High street service their premises without greatly increasing their overheads and ultimately the shelf price of goods

Sharpend
Just now, UNG said:

How councils make their decisions is beyond me, on one hand they are trying to stop the high street dying and on the other hand they want to ban vehicles accessing the town and city centres. So how do the companies on the High street service their premises without greatly increasing their overheads and ultimately the shelf price of goods

well you’ve heard of park and ride for the consumer, rumour is the horse and cart is making a comeback to take the deliveries to the store from lorry parks! :C 

either that or they’ll use tractors to pull the trailers in for delivery as we all know tractors seem to be exempt from most traffic laws? :C 

Murdoch
1 hour ago, UNG said:

How councils make their decisions is beyond me, 

Take Woking for example - the town centre is undergoing transformation with loads of new shops, loads of flats - with little or no parking and whilst the development work is going on 1 of the major car parks has been demolished.

Now parking has been increased to £1.50 per hour and buses are very expensive

Then there is Mclaren - a hugely important employer - they aren't allowed to expand their parking on their out of town site so ............ they rent places in Woking car parks, meaning their staff queue into the car parks, and the shuttle buses do the same. Some staff are now parking closer to work, in roads where parking isn't monitored - driving residents MAD. Common sense would say allow Mclaren to expand its parking to reduce the congestion in the town centre - but I suspect the council needs the revenue ............... talk about conflict of interest.

So Woking is terrible to park in, and people wonder why the shops are struggling. On line retailers anyone!

binky

you won't get people out of their cars as long as public transport is lettuced/ expensive, so town centre shopping is doomed!