Career help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dayle93

Reaction score
So... I’m 26 and in full time employment but the company what I work for has recently merged with a sister company we have all new management (which is all from the other company), they have taken all perks away from the job ie attendance bonuses first aid bonuses sick pay the lot, basically everything they can take they have I recently went into management and ask what opportunities are there for me and was told non, I’m on just a touch over minimum wage and i very much doubt it will ever increase or any opportunities for me to better myself.
As I said I’m now 26 I have a mortgage and a 9 month old, I have seen an electrician course where I can gain my level 2 and 3 City and Guilds within 7 month (trade skills 4 u)
After leaving school I did up to level 3 in brickwork but with qualifications and no hands on experience it’s like finding rocking horse s**t trying to get a job unless you go self employed which is just as hard when first starting off, I am very keen to get into trade work.
If I was to quit my job entirely and focus on that would I be entitled to any help and would any of you recommend doing this I just need out of here and some opportunity for myself, Any help would be much appreciated. It is a career that I would enjoy and I feel as if it’s now or never. What real opportunities are out there and the chances of me getting a job once I’very gained my qualifications. 
Thanks🙏

an apprenticeship takes 4 years. really think youll be able to learn enough on a 7 month course which is probably part time too? even if you do the course, the qualifications are pretty much meaningless so wouldnt get you a job as a sparky

The course is full time 5 days a week 9 till 5 in 2 week block intervals for 7 month il gain my city and Guilds level 2 and 3 2365 18th edition I can’t see them offering a course to learn nothing 

The course is full time 5 days a week 9 till 5 in 2 week block intervals for 7 month il gain my city and Guilds level 2 and 3 2365 18th edition I can’t see them offering a course to learn nothing 

youd be surprised. just look at the number of threads and other topics by people who have done that course yet cant find a job with the qualifications theyve got

i dont intent in employing anyone any time soon, but if it did id be wanting someone who's qualified & competent who can get on with the job, not someone who is 'qualified' but cant be left alone and needs supervision

After leaving school I did up to level 3 in brickwork but with qualifications and no hands on experience it’s like finding rocking horse s**t trying to get a job unless you go self employed which is just as hard when first starting off.

I think you have already answered your own question. Qualifications without experience don't count for much if employers are looking for staff who can work alone without supervision. Any person who chooses to leave an existing employer without a new job to move into, would general be considered a poor calibre candidate by prospective new employers. (Its a very big difference to if you have been made redundant, so are forced back into the job market). If you are looking to change career, you need to research job vacancy availability in your preferred geographical area and what qualification criteria they specify, not what various training may or may not be available, as some courses could be a waste of money, purchasing products that will not enhance your saleability to prospective new employers.

When you are evaluating non-compulsory education & qualifications, you must remember all of the companies providing courses, are just businesses with a bottom-line target to generate income to keep their business going. If a customer is willing to purchase an irrelevant course package, it is not their problem. It is up to the customer to select the right product. If I wanted to purchase an extractor fan and selected a 12v, timer model, when I actually needed a 230v humidistat model, it is not the suppliers fault I selected the wrong item for my application.

What you want to achieve is not impossible, but it will be a longer and be a harder exercise than you think it is. So unless you have a comfortable financial buffer to keep you going for a couple of years, I would stay with any exiting job you currently have and look at evening course via a local college. (If available locally to you, traditional college environments can have significant advantages over many of the home learning courses, as you can pick up a lot more through interaction with other real people, asking similar related questions around the topic you are studying.)

Also, even though things may not be as you would like them to be, there are no guarantees that any new company would not be just as bad or worse. The old phrases, "the grass is always greener" and "you don't know what you've got till its gone"  are still very true in the world of employment. Company take-overs, mergers, sell-offs, liquidations  etc  come around faster than the next series of X-Factor or Strictly!!  Try to stick it out until you have something concrete to move into, as I don't think you would be entitled to any state benefits if you choose to leave a job.   

Doc H.  

Just to add to what has already been said, these short time frame courses were from what I am led to believe, designed for people with electrical or at least very technical backgrounds to convert into being a domestic spark, for example ex coal board electricians (from when Maggie swung her big axe) needing the house spark qualifications.  These were guys that knew how to make of cable ends, knew a lot of the terminology and were familiar with tools and test equipment and general electrical techniques.

That being said, good luck with whatever route you go down, as it must be demotivating in the environment you are in just now.

No worries chaps so would you say try find an apprenticeship instead, would I still be eligible for an apprentice being 26 I’ve applied for apprenticeship even telling companies I will pay for all my own training qualifications tools everything but still having no luck 

If this is doing the level 2& level 3 with the level 3 NVQ and AM2 then these are the correct courses for electrical installation which are beneficial unlike the other short courses offered, however without any meaningful experience then the theory on its own isn’t going to cut it, besides to do the NVQ aspect you’ll need to be in employment in the trade. 

so if you can do the courses then all well and good but you’ll need to hope that this company works to find you some meaningful experience with a local employee for the NVQ. 

Latest posts