Retirement after 52 years ........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took this out today:

Wood CU 1.jpg

Only 3 circuits were still in use!

wood cu 2.jpg

Good stuff this old kit:

Wood cu 3.jpg

The earth bar is a bit suspect!

wood cu 4.jpg

to be continued!

continued ... but I can't add any more pickies!

Our companies board room had a DB installed somewhere, could I find it, like hell I could. The cleaner was laughing as she watched me hunting about. Eventually she showed me a section of oak panelling that hinged out to reveal the elusive DB. It was a beautifully hand crafted oaken “death trap”.

I found a meter readers card from the town corporation’s electric company in the intake cupboard dating from the 1920s when the supply was 220-0-220V DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am particularly fond of the Death Wish fuses where the fuse wire is EXTERNAL to the porcelain carrier and runs in a groove across the front face
That is such a good idea :), just think you would actually be able to see if it had blown, none of the time consuming pulling fuses out to test malarkey.

Oh Yes !! thats what you call  a real fuse !!!!     Instant diagnostics  .

I thought YOU were retiring.
Me too  !!  

How come those fuseboards havn't burst into flames ....all that wood  , not even plastic!!!

In piccy  #2   where do you fit your RCD  , SPD  & AAD   ?   

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Yes !! thats what you call  a real fuse !!!!     Instant diagnostics  .

Me too  !!  

How come those fuseboards havn't burst into flames ....all that wood  , not even plastic!!!

In piccy  #2   where do you fit your RCD  , SPD  & AAD   ?   

By the time I retire I will have worked for 52 years and my state pension will be precisely the same as somebody who has signed on for 35 years - thats simply not right IMHO

Re the fuseboards - a miracle really, that said the incoming live and neutrals were so tight I struggled to undo them!

re RCD, SPD and AFDD - ha ha ha (still haven't fitted a SPD or AFDD)

I am particularly fond of the Death Wish fuses where the fuse wire is EXTERNAL to the porcelain carrier and runs in a groove across the front face
First house I remember details of, (1950s) had "pepper-pot" fuses. The porcelain cover unscrewed to allow the wire to be replaced between two fixed terminals.  There was also a glass fronted fuse box with a slate panel inside mounting open terminal fuses.

First house I remember details of, (1950s) had "pepper-pot" fuses. The porcelain cover unscrewed to allow the wire to be replaced between two fixed terminals.  There was also a glass fronted fuse box with a slate panel inside mounting open terminal fuses.
And two brass covered porcelains sp switches with the "dollies" connected by a mahogany bar to provide DP isolation for,said fuses