Black Dust

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWJDThumper

Reaction score
Got British Gas to install a new Worcester Combi boiler 15 months ago who also installed a new 22 mm copper pipe from the gas meter. Just before Xmas, boiler gave a problem which was found to be dust in the gas valve filter. Gas valve was replaced. Three weeks later the same problem occurred but tapping out the filter got it going again. Looks to me that this could be due to 'black dust' which arises because of flaking of the copper sulphide layer created in copper pipes by hydrogen sulphide in the natural gas. Under a microscope, the particles are grey and look like curved flakes rather than any sort of dust particle. They are not magnetic which suggests they do not originate in an iron/steel pipe.

I live in OXON but the gas engineers seem to be stumped regarding the origin of the problem which must not be too widespread. I would be interested to here from anyone who has come across a similar problem.

Its unlikely  Thumper as this is an Electrician's Forum .       However its interesting .      Could they be old pipes last used with coal gas  instead of  natural gas .