signal generator 0-10vdc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpend

"It Just Is"
Reaction score
Guys,

I am in need of a handheld 0-10vdc signal generator for testing an AC system, need it for staged operation. have seen the usual suspects on various auction/sales websites but all seem to be from Alibaba or the like, does anyone know of a make I can get over here of the shelf so to speak?

All I need is to give a 0-10vdc signal, I need to be able to gradually increase the voltage to establish the lowest and highest voltage for each stage to kick in/out. 
it would also be useful for testing VAV’s and actuators in ducting, although that would also ideally require a 24v supply, but that’s not critical as I can get that from elsewhere. 

Assuming a relativly high impedance input, then surely all you need is a 10v supply and something like a 10k pot with the ends across the poles of the supply and the wiper as your output. (remember 0v needs to be linked to the grounds associated with the inputs) If you don't need to get right up to 10v, you could use a smoke detector battery. If you need a true 10v supply as as base, then start with a 12v dc wall wart adapater, and feed it through one of the LM2596 voltage regulator modules you can get online, use your multimeter to set it to exactly 10v, then use that as your supply for your pot

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming a relativly high impedance input, then surely all you need is a 10v supply and something like a 10k pot with the ends across the poles of the supply and the wiper as your output. (remember 0v needs to be linked to the grounds associated with the inputs) If you don't need to get right up to 10v, you could use a smoke detector battery. If you need a true 10v supply as as base, then start with a 12v dc wall wart adapater, and feed it through one of the LM2596 voltage regulator modules you can get online, use your multimeter to set it to exactly 10v, then use that as your supply for your pot
I am after something portable as opposed to plug in. 

Any good? I've had a few bits off of ESR in the past:

http://www.esr.co.uk/electronics/products/frame_test-function.htm
sorry Onoff, these seem a little over technical for me, I do like me, simple! 

This?

Amazon item B07MB29W4T

Saying that how much electronics can there really be in it? Looks like the things I used to make as a kid from HE/EE/PE and Elektor!

Worth searching a simple circuit out?

That is what I’m looking for, battery operated. 
midis think how hard can it be to make one, it’s probably harder to make the casing than it is to make the circuit. 

Isn’t a model train track controller the same thing? 

Guys,

I am in need of a handheld 0-10vdc signal generator for testing an AC system, need it for staged operation. have seen the usual suspects on various auction/sales websites but all seem to be from Alibaba or the like, does anyone know of a make I can get over here of the shelf so to speak?

Not really 100% what you are looking for Sharpie...

BUT.. way back in the anus of history when Maplin had shops selling combinations of garbage to mildly interesting electronically related tosh and trivia..

They did sell numerous little pocket-money priced self build kits..

One of which was a "Signal Generator"...

which I do have along with a Timer and some other bits to play around with when you are bored with life..

NOW..    although Maplin is a sunk-ship....

"Velleman"  what supplied some of these kit thing-a-mu-jigs..   are still active...

And have the MK105 9v supplied Signal Generator kit..

(with Signal output: sine wave, triangle, square wave and integrator (selectable through jumper))

Available for purchase at an eye-watering   £5.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.velleman.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p31_mk105.html

Is that anything like what you are looking for???????????

You may happily call me a plonker if I have misunderstood...

(but the Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness have been lubricating my brain and keyboard fingers tonight!) 

:C

Talking of Maplin.....they did a kit based around the L200 where you could precisely vary voltage and current output. I built one for some obscure IBM printer I recall. Still got it somewhere. Yours if you want it / if it's still in good nick / if I can find it. You change the voltage regulator to suit whether you want positive or negative rail etc from memory. Very stable. You could easily add a couple of cheapo meters. It was on these lines:

View attachment chargeur1.pdf

&

View attachment tech2_regulator.pdf

All I need is to give a 0-10vdc signal, I need to be able to gradually increase the voltage to establish the lowest and highest voltage for each stage to kick in/out. 
it would also be useful for testing VAV’s and actuators in ducting, although that would also ideally require a 24v supply, but that’s not critical as I can get that from elsewhere. 

So you are after what I would call a "battery box", I'll did mine out tomorrow and get some specifications over.

Basically 2 x 9V cells in a plastic box with a polarity switch for reversal of direction, a potentiometer to vary the output voltage +/-10V DC, and a volt meter, plus some other bits to keep it all working correctly, mine also has a few switches to be able to switch things like brakes and enable signals.

I use it mainly for servo drives.

I think, you are not after anything other than a steady but variable in magnitude DC voltage to apply to the input of an actuator controller?

Pretty much it Sidey. 

is it possible to have both a 24v output and a 0-10v output both at same time? Would be useful as some items have a 24v Operational supply then a 0-10v for drive? 

Pretty much it Sidey. 

is it possible to have both a 24v output and a 0-10v output both at same time? Would be useful as some items have a 24v Operational supply then a 0-10v for drive? 
Yes, but, I would normally pull the 24V DC from the machine control, just using the +/- 10V DC from the battery box to control speed.

I had thought of a bench unit only but think that would be a little cumbersome to carry around site with me and the rest of my tools. Just thought a handheld battery unit would be small enough to drop into my rucksack for convenience. As you say it wouldn’t be to difficult to pick up a 24v supply from the machine or panel. I was just looking for convenience of having it all in one place! 

Chinese supplier Banggood has at least one such device for about £15. Just search "Voltage generator".  (For some reason I don't seem to be able to post links here)

I'm only a hobby user but I've found their electronic bits to be OK and excellent value. 

Chinese supplier Banggood has at least one such device for about £15. Just search "Voltage generator".  (For some reason I don't seem to be able to post links here)

I'm only a hobby user but I've found their electronic bits to be OK and excellent value. 
The issue is that the Chinese items may not be correctly CE marked and if buying them directly from China, you then become legally responsible for the safety and compliance of the product.

Sharpend is using the unit for business use, PUWER Reg 10 plus the LVD require the Ce to be correct.

Forget the Chinese Export nonsense.

It’s the law in the UK that’s important.

I had thought of a bench unit only but think that would be a little cumbersome to carry around site with me and the rest of my tools. Just thought a handheld battery unit would be small enough to drop into my rucksack for convenience. As you say it wouldn’t be to difficult to pick up a 24v supply from the machine or panel. I was just looking for convenience of having it all in one place! 
You might be able to modify the design of the unit I have made to work with 2 x 12V batteries in series.

I am on site now, I can dig my unit out later.