Hefferl

Office Lighting Levels

Question

Hefferl

Can anyone share any practical advice on achieving acceptable lighting levels in offices. 

These are small existing offices in a doctors surgery and include workstations and the like. Normal ceilings ie not suspended grid.

I've tried to digest HSG38 (HSE lighting at work), but I'm after some more pragmatic advice from those that have done this before.

Do any lighting manufacturers provide any design services in this area?

Many thanks.

3 answers to this question

Sharpend

Your wholesalers may well be able to accommodate lighting design for you. 

binky

there's all sorts of guide to lighting, but the main complaint I've seen is over-bright, harsh, LED fixtures. Don't be tempted to overkill the brightness, try to buy 'flicker free LED'  and natural daylight can be good.

kieronious

Take a look at Cibse lighting guides, they have guides for all different environments with recommendations. Glare is the biggest factor in office lighting so look at luminaires that can achieve a ugr <19. Also look at Bs 12464:1 for lighting levels. 

(I came off the tools 4 years ago and went into consultantancy as an electrical design engineer finishing my degree last year. Still work weekends on the tools mind!)