Car charging question .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The owner of a local  plant hire firm has asked me about ...in his words ...a 400V  supply to a car charger   ( On the phone I thought he was talking about an electric fork truck)  can use  one of the welder sockets  ?  etc   .  

I see many articles which seem to out lining reams of difficulties we need to jump through , including taking one of the many courses available , last one  £400 for the day  .  

Am I being silly by thinking  we install a 30A   X 400V   X 2  or 3 phase supply  to the charger supplied  , nail it to the wall in the bloke's parking space  and switch on .?    Apparently we  are supposed to notify the DNO   for their records.  

I've read about earth rods .

Clamping the vehicle to earth .

Fitting special RCDs  that detect harmonica playing  DC currents from travelling back into network  etc etc  .     Surely all protection is within the charger .       

Vague, mist, cloak & dagger, slight-of-hand...  all spring to mind....

from my (limited) understanding.....

There are some grants / subsidies / return payments...  available to bods using EV chargers...

BUT..  the installer must be a member of another scheme + one of those courses you mention....

Then do some more paperwork so Mr/Mrs electric vehicle owner can claim back their cash entitlement to buy more beer!

But if the grant/Claim back Dosh bit is not important....

Then just follow manufactures instructions for the supply to the charger..

I put in a new circuit before Christmas for a customer who had bought a Tesla rapid charger...

He wasn't bothered about any available grants etc...  Just wanted the unit he had purchased connected to a suitable rated supply at the fuse box......

So I read the Tesla bumf, then connected it up to a 32A rated supply...………..

Basic rule to me has always been:-

Read manufactures supply characteristics requirements..

Install kit in accordance with Manufacturer and supply details, And wiring regs!

No Idea about 400v though???

:C

The owner of a local  plant hire firm has asked me about ...in his words ...a 400V  supply to a car charger   ( On the phone I thought he was talking about an electric fork truck)  can use  one of the welder sockets  ?  etc   .  

I see many articles which seem to out lining reams of difficulties we need to jump through , including taking one of the many courses available , last one  £400 for the day  .  

Am I being silly by thinking  we install a 30A   X 400V   X 2  or 3 phase supply  to the charger supplied  , nail it to the wall in the bloke's parking space  and switch on .?    Apparently we  are supposed to notify the DNO   for their records.  

I've read about earth rods .

Clamping the vehicle to earth .

Fitting special RCDs  that detect harmonica playing  DC currents from travelling back into network  etc etc  .     Surely all protection is within the charger .       

You'd have thought !

And don't forget, if somebody wants an IP rated 13A socket for a granny charger, you have to fit a "special" socket as "any" 13A socket isn't suitable ................ which is total madness, because the whole point of a granny charger is to use ANY accessible 13A socket.

some are 400v. except for the DC fast chargers, they are usually just a basic DOL starter circuit inside - once the car is plugged in, the controller communicates between the 2 then switches on the contactor, allowing power to the car. most charger leads are designed for 63a 3 phase regardless of whats its connected to. (the controller in the charger tells the car what power it can take)

you can get some box thing that is fitted on a TNCS system that monitors for lost neutral. dont know much about them, just installed a section board for the EV company to connect to and thats what they fitted to get around the TNCS thing

It is all very well asking for a 400v supply but these EV chargers can run at anything from 10 - 20A up to 300A for the latest super fast chargers

Last edited by a moderator:
It is all very well asking for a 400v supply but these EV chargers can run at anything from 10 - 20A up to 300A for the latest super fast chargers
its the boss of this company who is talking about  400V    , I was told he plugs it in at home to a 13A  socket   but wants  this quick charge business at the depot .    

you can get some box thing that is fitted on a TNCS system that monitors for lost neutral. dont know much about them, just installed a section board for the EV company to connect to and thats what they fitted to get around the TNCS thing
What is the TNCS thing ,  not the " exported Earth "  is it ?    Or do we have to bond the car with a 10mm  ? 

its the boss of this company who is talking about  400V    , I was told he plugs it in at home to a 13A  socket   but wants  this quick charge business at the depot .    

What is the TNCS thing ,  not the " exported Earth "  is it ?    Or do we have to bond the car with a 10mm  ? 

something to do with it monitors the voltages between phases, neutral & earth and if it detects a neutral failure then it shuts off power. its fitted inside the building next to the DB. basically, just fit that, connect your chargers to it and use the TNCS earth