Best way to extend cable for double socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob3000

Reaction score
A bit of background:

After having a laminate floor and new skirting boards fitted in a bedroom I decided to replace the socket fronts.  While doing this I noticed that socket A had 3 t&e cables in it, socket B had 2 cables and socket C only 1 cable. I was interested to see where the spurred socket (skt C) was fed from as I planned to come off of it at a later date for an outside socket.  After some continuity checks I found that socket A is on the downstairs ring but has been spurred off of to feed socket B and socket C. 

I realise that this is not allowed so as a fix I plan to add a fused spur to socket A (making it part of the ring) and then connect the other sockets to the spur unit. I don't want to take up the new floor so I was going to remove the 2 gang backbox for socket A and replace it with a dual backbox which allows a double socket and a fused spur unit to be connected.

Now here is my problem.  The cables inside socket A are short, virtually no slack in them and no spare cable can be pulled up from below the floor.  I need to extend at least one of the cable by maybe 3-4 inches to be able to make the connections in the spur unit.  What is the best way to extend the cables?  I have thought about Wago's (but these can take up a bit of room when there are more than one) or yellow crimps.  Is there anything better that can be used?

I hope this all makes sense.

Why not just replace the double socket(A) that you have with a Click modular plate with a fuse holder, 20A double pole switch and a single socket ---- feed into the fuse holder and out through the switch to the single socket,,, and directly from the fuse to sockets B & C

I've done this as a repair for someone who had a socket spurred off a spur

Thanks for your reply.

i like the sound of that idea. I have not heard of this range before and  I am not 100% sure how they work.

Any chance you could post a link?

Thanks

Brilliant!   

That is going to save me a whole load of trouble.  No mess either.

Thank you