Bad day at work, (non-electrical).

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Hudson

Reaction score
I noticed this whilst browsing my online news feed earlier;   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-51152431  Someone is going to have trouble forgetting that 'bad day at work'.

It made me wonder, (excluding the common drill/screw/nail through a water pipe), who on here has damaged something that a customer considers valuable, that you consider one of your worst days at work?

Doc H.

Even I wouldn't have dug out that close ...and they're supposed to be builders.   :C   

Going right back to apprenticeship  , the electrician & I made up a foot switch at the bench for the tool setters to inch down the 1000 ton press while having hands free  .  We'd wired in a socket to duplicate the inching facility .        The sparks sent me  to the press shop to try it  saying  "  Ask the setter before you do anything "    I was about 16 then . 

Setter was working on the next press ,  further up were all the big wigs  , Directors  etc  discussing something or other ...... I asked the setter if I could plug in the foot switch and  try it   , the safety doors would be open for inching .......he said yes   bring it over to make sure it did a full cycle .  

Just to explain , this particular press  pressed out motor bike telescopic forks  , cold , from a billet ....  inside the  die an ejector follows the press ...down then follows up to eject the finished fork .  The setter hadn't adjusted the ejector rod , so it went down , the press tool entered the empty die , returned up ....the ejector dropped to one side underneath ,  and burst the die off the press bed  as the directors approached  .    

Fair play , the setter immediately said  I'd asked & he'd given the OK to run the press .      There was a right bull & cow over it but thankfully not my fault . 

Photos of the actual presses are below , the place was used for a film apparently , years later ,  I found it on the web.     They also pressed out , by cold extrusion ,  the steel casings for starter motors  & generators    ( Lucas  for the Longbridge car plant )  

Pic-1_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy drilling piles cut off thousands of Virgin customers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c5gg6w7d6kzt/virgin-media

06138A0A-94CD-4D02-A5CE-2773F4F1879A.thumb.jpeg.da910cbd263eff2d72694a21111c4139.jpeg.fef2eaa200e1615bbbb6f004baaf079a.jpeg

If you want personal "bad days"  I was tasked with removing and re fitting a light fitting that was coming away from the ceiling.  As I started to unscrew it, it parted company with the ceiling sooner than I expected, and my attempt to catch it, just threw it off course and it landed on a very large very old dining table making a big scratch in it.

The one and only time I have claimed on my PL insurance.  It cost me the £250 policy excess but the actual bill was more than that for a French Polisher to restore the damage.

Latest posts