Sheralee

New Person Joining

Sheralee

Hello to all here.

Just a little introduction.

I was made redundant from my old job last July after 31 years and 6 days! As soon as they mentioned redundancy I knew I was going and thought what I could retrain as, being female and 50 years old. I thought plumber, forklift truck driving, and as I read more into it I chose Electrician.

I have been looking around on the web to see what friendly forums there were and this stood out more above the rest, just in case I am looking for advice on a particular thing I may be stuck on or just general advice.

I have currently just completed City and Guilds Level 2 2365 course, and am due to continue with level 3 the week after next. We started some of the level 3 science in the level 2.

I hope to carry on after and do the test and inspection course.

I have managed to secure some unpaid work experience in the time off between the courses, it works out as 2 weeks on the course 2 weeks off, I am finding the work experience invaluable as doing stuff in a classroom is completely different in the real world, I was not in any way that I would finish the course and go straight out there working, so finding this experience has been great and boosted my confidence, with lovely comments from the guy I have been working with saying that I am adaptable and flexible and willing to learn. This will also help in the future where I may need references. 

All in all I am enjoying the course and my work experience, I hope to have a good browse of the forums and pick up valuable information without bothering people here too much.

Sorry for the long post ha ha ha.

Shez

roys

Good intro and welcome

Sharpend

Welcome shez 

glad its all working out for you, and please do ask, no question is too silly only maybe  some of the answers! 

Evans Electric

Ask away  Shez  ,  and for a 50 yr old  lady to go for this trade takes some guts I must say ,  I hope you do well .     

Apart from the technical courses there is one  milestone these days to be fully qualified   , its crops up on here a lot ,   I think this is correct , you need to do a period with a firm  or an electrician  to satisfy the practical experience  .    Others are more up to date on this  but its a constant problem for mature trainees  it would seem .

Don't worry about questions just ask away ..  like driving ... we all had to learn once.        

Zeespark

like driving ... we all had to learn once.

I am still learning after a few bleeding years, though I have had a few few medical issues to sort, I am off work from a new one now.

AndyGuinness

Dan C

Hi,

That's a really encouraging read. I recently got made redundant also after 20 years and due to start my city & guild's level 2&3 ,2 weeks on 2 weeks off so it is good to hear it working out for you. May I ask how you found the work experience as that is what I am seeking now. Are you doing the course with trade skills for you?

Thanks Dan.