New Person Joining

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheralee

Reaction score
Hello to all here.

Just a little introduction.

I was made redundant from my old job last July after 31 years and 6 days! As soon as they mentioned redundancy I knew I was going and thought what I could retrain as, being female and 50 years old. I thought plumber, forklift truck driving, and as I read more into it I chose Electrician.

I have been looking around on the web to see what friendly forums there were and this stood out more above the rest, just in case I am looking for advice on a particular thing I may be stuck on or just general advice.

I have currently just completed City and Guilds Level 2 2365 course, and am due to continue with level 3 the week after next. We started some of the level 3 science in the level 2.

I hope to carry on after and do the test and inspection course.

I have managed to secure some unpaid work experience in the time off between the courses, it works out as 2 weeks on the course 2 weeks off, I am finding the work experience invaluable as doing stuff in a classroom is completely different in the real world, I was not in any way that I would finish the course and go straight out there working, so finding this experience has been great and boosted my confidence, with lovely comments from the guy I have been working with saying that I am adaptable and flexible and willing to learn. This will also help in the future where I may need references. 

All in all I am enjoying the course and my work experience, I hope to have a good browse of the forums and pick up valuable information without bothering people here too much.

Sorry for the long post ha ha ha.

Shez

Ask away  Shez  ,  and for a 50 yr old  lady to go for this trade takes some guts I must say ,  I hope you do well .     

Apart from the technical courses there is one  milestone these days to be fully qualified   , its crops up on here a lot ,   I think this is correct , you need to do a period with a firm  or an electrician  to satisfy the practical experience  .    Others are more up to date on this  but its a constant problem for mature trainees  it would seem .

Don't worry about questions just ask away ..  like driving ... we all had to learn once.        

Hi,

That's a really encouraging read. I recently got made redundant also after 20 years and due to start my city & guild's level 2&3 ,2 weeks on 2 weeks off so it is good to hear it working out for you. May I ask how you found the work experience as that is what I am seeking now. Are you doing the course with trade skills for you?

Thanks Dan.