DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
uktuk

can I run 17600w constantly on uk power supply ?

Question

uktuk

My questions is can I run a total of 17600w permanently on a uk power supply to a domestic house.

The mains cable to the property is 35mm and the property will be running lights and 8 machines all consuming 2200w each and running 24/7

I just wanted to know if standard wires could cope with this draw on a constant basis. Any help appreciated.

Sharpend

how do you know the supply cables are 35mm? are you talking about the supply to the house or supply from meter to consumer unit?

Do you know what size the main fuse is? what's on the label isn't necessarily what is inside?

what are these machines you talk of? are they all on together? heaters, lights, workshop machines? what domestic property operates machines 24/7?

more info needed.

uktuk

I paid the electricity board to lay the cable 4 years ago and its a 35mm supply that goes from a pole in a nearby field to my property in a trench that is 600mm deep.

The main consumer unit has a 100amp fuse.

The machines are BTC miners and they are in the same room, they all have a 32amp breaker running 2 machines each and as for what property has machines running 24/7 the only answer I can say is mine :)

Murdoch

So that’s about 76 amps.

no cooking, heating ,showers?

your monthly electricity bill could be interesting

Sidney

What's the PSU ratings of the machines?

uktuk

The property is used only for mining so no other use. 

Each machine is 2200w and the power supply is part of the unit.

The electric bill s huge, massive but it is still highly profitable.

Sharpend

I presume you have declared the change of use of the dwelling to commercial.

uktuk

No, didn't think I had too, im not renting it and still paying council tax on it. 

ProDave

17.6KW at the rate I pay for my electricity is £.260 per hour,  £62.51 per day or £22,818 per year.

Wow.  Just WOW.

And with 17kW of heat going in, that place must be like an oven?

Do you have any concerns at all for the environment, reducing energy use etc?

Why nor spread them around friends?  Say 2 in each friends house will pretty much take care of their heating needs. At least the energy use might then have some benefit to someone.

Evans Electric

I'm confused ,  what exactly are these mining machines ,  are you sinking shafts to a coal seam  or what .    ? 

The only houses round here that pull that current have usually by-passed the meter  and papered inside the roof with Baco foil .  

The answer to your question is probably yes  but it all sounds odd to me .   Something like 17.6  KW  at 240V  is  73 A  for 24 hrs a day  ...the Jaguar works doesn't use that much  :C     

Edited by Evans Electric

Sharpend

bitcoin cryptocurrency deke, you'd have to be mining a fair amount of bitcoin to warrant such high electric bills.

I also suspect that you'll get a visit from the energy provider when they see regular high usage.

Murdoch

I think you’ll get a visit from the police looking for your plants.,...

On a more serious note, most fuseboards are rated at 100 amps, but 76 for 24 hours a day. 

Me thinks things will start melting

Evans Electric
Just now, Sharpend said:

I also suspect that you'll get a visit from the energy provider when they see regular high usage.

Round here it would be a visit from West Midlands Police .   

Just now, Sharpend said:

bitcoin cryptocurrency deke, you'd have to be mining a fair amount of bitcoin to warrant such high electric bills.

I do't really understand this to be honest .  :C  

Fuseboard meltdown ,I'd agree with Murdo ,    non continuous rating and all that . 

On the subject of mining , because this area was built on the Midlands coal seam  in the 1930s  , the deeds  for the properties state that no owner has any rights to the coal seam below  and should there be any subsidence  the Coal Board is not responsible .  

Edited by Evans Electric

Murdoch

OP - what load have you factored in for air conditioning / cooling / ventilation?

Sharpend
Just now, Murdoch said:

OP - what load have you factored in for air conditioning / cooling / ventilation?

windows- no power required!! 

Evans Electric

I just Googled BTC  Miners  ....none the wiser .... Kerch will know I'll ask him  later .  

NozSpark
2 hours ago, Evans Electric said:

Round here it would be a visit from West Midlands Police .   

I do't really understand this to be honest .  :C  

Fuseboard meltdown ,I'd agree with Murdo ,    non continuous rating and all that . 

On the subject of mining , because this area was built on the Midlands coal seam  in the 1930s  , the deeds  for the properties state that no owner has any rights to the coal seam below  and should there be any subsidence  the Coal Board is not responsible .  

I was under the impression that the National Coal Board took on the liability for all historical underground workings years ago

About 20 years ago the rear of a house in a village that I lived in collapsed into an old bell pit... the repairs etc were covered by the NCB

Evans Electric

I may be remembering it  wrongly Noz ,  I have the deeds in the loft  ,  I think it may have  said  " The mine owners"  now you say that .  it definitely says  we have no rights whatsoever to any coal below our properties   ,  its like an obsession in the deeds , as if they' were frightened to death you might make a few bob for yourself.    I'm sure there was a get out clause. 

It was the Hamstead  Colliery   before NCB  took over    , there was a disaster there in 1908  , load of Welsh miners came to assist in the rescue I believe .     

I remember it closing down in the '60s .  

Edited by Evans Electric

NozSpark

Oh, God yeh...... you definitely have no rights to any coal or to mine,,, but I'm pretty sure that they took on the responsibility of all underground workings (not just coal mines)

we had the Point of Ayr colliery just down the road from us

uktuk
8 hours ago, Sharpend said:

windows- no power required!! 

I have 2x 24" fans drawing in and out 5300cm powered by solar and battery on 300w with battered charging during the day and powering via stored power during the evening and only yet hit 29% sop plenty of scope and also given that its winter I see no problems with that. Room temp is 14 degrees and power supply and miner temps have dropped from 36/78 degrees to 24/51 degrees.

As for the electricity bill that isn't an issue as payback is x30% even at the given crypto rates so after mays halving profits should rise to x200%

Edited by uktuk

Geoff1946

It sounds like you already have the setup, and also that it represents considerable investment and planning.

I'm just wondering why you didn't have a three phase supply installed, or move the whole thing into a small commercial  unit, rather than a house. 

uktuk
Just now, Geoff1946 said:

It sounds like you already have the setup, and also that it represents considerable investment and planning.

I'm just wondering why you didn't have a three phase supply installed, or move the whole thing into a small commercial  unit, rather than a house. 

its a good question but a long answer, I did own a factory and sold it a couple of years ago when the local council decided to increase rates by 220%, it was used as a personal pension but I lost my backside on selling it as the value dropped massively due to the increase by the council and no one wanted to buy it.

as for the power supply, its a property on my land that I used for holiday lets and it was available and free to use. it is a lucrative side business in reality although the electricity use is high but the profits match and beat the cost so well worth the investment. My concern was based on the wires capacity to feed the supply. Im not an electrician but found out some more information last night from the electrician who fitted everything in the building.

The property has its own feed of 35mm cable from the feed pole to both our main house and also this property. this was laid by the power company. I don't really want to invest any more money changing the power supply as they cost sooooo much only a short while ago and any further costs would just make the profits from the mining drop which would render the project worthless.

My concern was mainly down to wether the wires are able to cope with 24/7 usage.

I am told that each miner runs off its own 32amp or 16amp ring main with peak draw being 2200w. each 32amp ring has 2 miners so a total peak of 4400w and each 16amp ring has 1 miner with a total of 2200w.

All wiring is around 3 years old in the property.

I have done a lot of research and seen people overloading their supply so I just thought that this place would offer some good advice regarding the power side of things.

I do appreciate your answers and time guys :)

Murdoch
59 minutes ago, uktuk said:

its a good question but a long answer, I did own a factory and sold it a couple of years ago when the local council decided to increase rates by 220%, it was used as a personal pension but I lost my backside on selling it as the value dropped massively due to the increase by the council and no one wanted to buy it.

as for the power supply, its a property on my land that I used for holiday lets and it was available and free to use. it is a lucrative side business in reality although the electricity use is high but the profits match and beat the cost so well worth the investment. My concern was based on the wires capacity to feed the supply. Im not an electrician but found out some more information last night from the electrician who fitted everything in the building.

The property has its own feed of 35mm cable from the feed pole to both our main house and also this property. this was laid by the power company. I don't really want to invest any more money changing the power supply as they cost sooooo much only a short while ago and any further costs would just make the profits from the mining drop which would render the project worthless.

My concern was mainly down to wether the wires are able to cope with 24/7 usage.

I am told that each miner runs off its own 32amp or 16amp ring main with peak draw being 2200w. each 32amp ring has 2 miners so a total peak of 4400w and each 16amp ring has 1 miner with a total of 2200w.

I have done a lot of research and seen people overloading their supply so I just thought that this place would offer some good advice regarding the power side of things.

It's not the cables I'm worried about its the fuseboard.

Blue Duck

Seeing as you have some land and clearly some money to invest why not get some solar installed? 

It would reduce your energy costs and be kinder to the environment.

Doc Hudson
9 hours ago, Evans Electric said:

I just Googled BTC  Miners  ....none the wiser .... Kerch will know I'll ask him  later .  

Physical currency (paper or coins) rely upon specific businesses being authorised to produce and distribute notes & coins. But they can't just create and distribute currency as and when they feel like it, it has to be controlled and authorised by institutions such as the bank-of-England. https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/about.  Virtual currencies like BitCoin, use complex calculations validating the existence of the coins and transactions made with the coins, which basically eats up lots of processing power, which needs electricity to keep it running 24/7.

You can't sit at your printer/scanner photocopying banknotes to make counterfeit money, but you could go off to Alaska do some digging and prospecting for gold, which you would then need to get its purity etc verified by a third party to confirm how much your gold nugget is worth, so you may yield a return after quite a bit of hard graft.

And you can't sit at a computer creating quick & easy copy & past virtual currency. It requires lots of mathematical processing and validation by others, which is how the mining analogy comes about. i.e. hard work locating a commodity in demand, validated by others, before you get any rewards for your searching/calculating/mining etc.  This link may help  https://www.bitcoinmining.com/

Or you could go and buy one of these power hungry processors off Amazon; https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bitcoin+miner&crid=32VQL2DOYP3QH&sprefix=bitcoin%2Caps%2C159&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_7   and create the Crypto mining subsidiary of Evans Electrical!

Doc H.

Doc Hudson
Just now, Murdoch said:

It's not the cables I'm worried about its the fuseboard.

1 hour ago, uktuk said:

If the circuits have been designed correctly for the expected loads, the cables should have been selected in relation to the installation methods, so should be able to carry the power you want. But I am not convinced the average domestic consumer unit is intended to run at higher than average current for over 90% of the time. (you would need to check with the consumer unit manufacture to see if they impose any limitations). If this is just a standard domestic single phase consumer unit I'd be concerned about a single main switch running this load 24/7.  The slightest loose termination on the tails and it will be melted main switch time.  Also MCB's sitting next to each other may have issues getting warm, possibly leaving a blank space between each MCB if you have room in the board would help.  Also I'd consider splitting the tails into a couple of smaller consumer units so no single 100A rated switch was carrying the whole load. Basically you need to ensure nothing gets too warm, as it won't have any lower usage time to cool down. 

Doc H.