can I run 17600w constantly on uk power supply ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uktuk

Reaction score
My questions is can I run a total of 17600w permanently on a uk power supply to a domestic house.

The mains cable to the property is 35mm and the property will be running lights and 8 machines all consuming 2200w each and running 24/7

I just wanted to know if standard wires could cope with this draw on a constant basis. Any help appreciated.

how do you know the supply cables are 35mm? are you talking about the supply to the house or supply from meter to consumer unit?

Do you know what size the main fuse is? what's on the label isn't necessarily what is inside?

what are these machines you talk of? are they all on together? heaters, lights, workshop machines? what domestic property operates machines 24/7?

more info needed.

I paid the electricity board to lay the cable 4 years ago and its a 35mm supply that goes from a pole in a nearby field to my property in a trench that is 600mm deep.

The main consumer unit has a 100amp fuse.

The machines are BTC miners and they are in the same room, they all have a 32amp breaker running 2 machines each and as for what property has machines running 24/7 the only answer I can say is mine :)

The property is used only for mining so no other use. 

Each machine is 2200w and the power supply is part of the unit.

The electric bill s huge, massive but it is still highly profitable.

No, didn't think I had too, im not renting it and still paying council tax on it. 

17.6KW at the rate I pay for my electricity is £.260 per hour,  £62.51 per day or £22,818 per year.

Wow.  Just WOW.

And with 17kW of heat going in, that place must be like an oven?

Do you have any concerns at all for the environment, reducing energy use etc?

Why nor spread them around friends?  Say 2 in each friends house will pretty much take care of their heating needs. At least the energy use might then have some benefit to someone.

I'm confused ,  what exactly are these mining machines ,  are you sinking shafts to a coal seam  or what .    ? 

The only houses round here that pull that current have usually by-passed the meter  and papered inside the roof with Baco foil .  

The answer to your question is probably yes  but it all sounds odd to me .   Something like 17.6  KW  at 240V  is  73 A  for 24 hrs a day  ...the Jaguar works doesn't use that much   :C      

Last edited by a moderator:
bitcoin cryptocurrency deke, you'd have to be mining a fair amount of bitcoin to warrant such high electric bills.

I also suspect that you'll get a visit from the energy provider when they see regular high usage.

I think you’ll get a visit from the police looking for your plants.,...

On a more serious note, most fuseboards are rated at 100 amps, but 76 for 24 hours a day. 

Me thinks things will start melting

I also suspect that you'll get a visit from the energy provider when they see regular high usage.
Round here it would be a visit from West Midlands Police .   

bitcoin cryptocurrency deke, you'd have to be mining a fair amount of bitcoin to warrant such high electric bills.
I do't really understand this to be honest .   :C   

Fuseboard meltdown ,I'd agree with Murdo ,    non continuous rating and all that . 

On the subject of mining , because this area was built on the Midlands coal seam  in the 1930s  , the deeds  for the properties state that no owner has any rights to the coal seam below  and should there be any subsidence  the Coal Board is not responsible .  

Round here it would be a visit from West Midlands Police .   

I do't really understand this to be honest .   :C   

Fuseboard meltdown ,I'd agree with Murdo ,    non continuous rating and all that . 

On the subject of mining , because this area was built on the Midlands coal seam  in the 1930s  , the deeds  for the properties state that no owner has any rights to the coal seam below  and should there be any subsidence  the Coal Board is not responsible .  

I was under the impression that the National Coal Board took on the liability for all historical underground workings years ago

About 20 years ago the rear of a house in a village that I lived in collapsed into an old bell pit... the repairs etc were covered by the NCB

I may be remembering it  wrongly Noz ,  I have the deeds in the loft  ,  I think it may have  said  " The mine owners"  now you say that .  it definitely says  we have no rights whatsoever to any coal below our properties   ,  its like an obsession in the deeds , as if they' were frightened to death you might make a few bob for yourself.    I'm sure there was a get out clause. 

It was the Hamstead  Colliery   before NCB  took over    , there was a disaster there in 1908  , load of Welsh miners came to assist in the rescue I believe .     

I remember it closing down in the '60s .  

Oh, God yeh...... you definitely have no rights to any coal or to mine,,, but I'm pretty sure that they took on the responsibility of all underground workings (not just coal mines)

we had the Point of Ayr colliery just down the road from us

windows- no power required!! 

I have 2x 24" fans drawing in and out 5300cm powered by solar and battery on 300w with battered charging during the day and powering via stored power during the evening and only yet hit 29% sop plenty of scope and also given that its winter I see no problems with that. Room temp is 14 degrees and power supply and miner temps have dropped from 36/78 degrees to 24/51 degrees.

As for the electricity bill that isn't an issue as payback is x30% even at the given crypto rates so after mays halving profits should rise to x200%